This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unable to use 8.10 have ubuntu

I have tried to install Kubuntu 8.10 on my laptop computer and it is too slow too run so i put an older version of Ubuntu that i had. (version 6.06 or something like that). Now i would like to go back to Kubuntu and i had at one point had Kubuntu 8.04 on my laptop and it ran fine.

So i downloaded it again today from the Kubuntu website (the iso version) and i can not figure out what i have too do to get kubuntu 8.04 installed. Please help. Thanks
    Ubuntu
    0%
    Kubuntu
    0%

Re: unable to use 8.10 have ubuntu

Have you burned the downloaded .iso file to CD (create a LiveCD) yet?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

what kind of laptop are you running? it may be that you need to turn off a few features to speed things up. I'm running on some pretty old hardware, with low memory, and it runs better than XP by a lot. I'm talking single core PIII's and P4's, plus a centrino at 1.6Ghz. No issues performance wise...

Comment

I downloaded it to the desktop of a windows xp computer and then installed it on a cd if that is what you mean.

Comment

I am using a Dell Latitude x200 it is a tablet notebook
          512mb Ram
          PIII
          Intel Inside celeron m>
          i think that thats it all it says is Intel Inside m

Comment

celeron will hurt ya, and it probably came stock with a 4200rpm drive.... so, you're probably right. it's choke on XP as well under those circumstances.

Comment

Actually no Not Really xp ran pretty well
              Here is what it does with Kbuntu though it starts up and loads fine but only up until the login screen.
              I can login and then it goes to the kde downloader and freezes up... doesnt continue
              I try holding control cause thats what i was told to do by an expert like guy at a kubuntu meeting-doesnt work.

Comment

well, it's not that kubuntu won't run, it's just not set right. hang around here and these guys will get you up and running. it's probably in the graphics driver, or the desktop effects. my computers do better with kubuntu, than they do with XP, so it shouldn't be the OS choice that's hurting you, only the finer points of adjusting it...

Comment

Thanks and is there certain things i might be able to search for too get the information i need

Comment

you just want to make sure you understand exactly what kind of hardware is installed in your dell, so you can load the right drivers. kubuntu's has some pretty major graphics issue, but there;s always a work around in some way. be prepared to learn a lot of command line tricks and tweaks. once youget used to it, it's pretty nice having that sort of control over the OS. ask questions, and try the live CD first. Download it, born the image, and boot your computer without installing. If it works semi decent there (aside from runing off a CD) it will work on your machine one way or another.

Comment

Originally posted by lethal666
                      I am using a Dell Latitude x200 it is a tablet notebook
                      512mb Ram
                      PIII
                      Intel Inside celeron m>
                      i think that thats it all it says is Intel Inside m
                      You've a very marginal system for 8.10.
                      Bare Minimum requirements

Comment

so should i try and run like 8.04

Comment

Within the link I pointed you to, look at the section for Low-spec computers (Xubuntu).

Comment

is this going to work if i have ubuntu on my comp already

Comment

I'm running a PIII with 512mb here, but it's also a SCSI drive. If you have a 7200rpm drive, it would help, as well as a bit more memory. If nothing fancy is running, it may run fine. I have an old P4 at work, and I couldn't tell a difference in performance at all after an upgrade. I think the experts can answer that question better though, but I think you could get it to work nearly as well as XP and 8.04.

Comment

Working...
                              X