Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[NOT SOLVED BUT IT'S WORKING AGAIN] More weirdness with the dektop...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[NOT SOLVED BUT IT'S WORKING AGAIN] More weirdness with the dektop...

It seems that all my programs are justified in the upper left coerner of the dektop, and I have no minimize/maximize buttons, and I can't move them anywhere. My desktop needs to be reset somehow.

There's around border on any of my programs.

Re: [NOT SOLVED BUT IT'S WORKING AGAIN] More weirdness with the dektop...

Wow, you are a frequent poster

Are you or have you run compiz? If not this will sort you: system settings - appearance - windows - buttons (i.e. second tab)
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Re: [NOT SOLVED BUT IT'S WORKING AGAIN] More weirdness with the dektop...

what's compiz

Yeah, I have Kubuntu on three systems. My work one I don't play with, but this system I'm giving to a teenager, so I need it set right when it leaves here. I've learned a ton around here, and have been using the CL frequently. Kubuntu is very easy to damage, and can be done without trying real hard. If you put a wrong path in, it dies.

I finally just deleted the initial user, figuring it's probably corrupt beyond sensibly fixing it. I know it could be done, but it would just take too long to adjust it.

I still have that hard drive issue to some extent. Sometimes the system see's it, and sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes it's sdb5, and sometimes it's sda5. Makes it impossible to store any system settings or programs on it, because it's moving around all the time. That's what killed my desktop last time when I changed the home directory to the secondary drive. It's a really small primary drive, and I was hoping to give it a little breathing room by diverting the home folder to the secondary IDE. I boot from a SCSI drive though, which gives this system a tremendous amount of performance for the age of the computer. It is what it is though, and this is a free system for my g-friends daughter, so I'm certainly not going to run out and buy a larger SCSI drive to fix the space issue. The darn drive would probably cost more than a new computer...lol

Anyway, I'm having a lot of fun, and becoming pretty good at moving around in the OS. Tremendous amount of bugs and glitches though, and one has to be very careful what settings are changed.

I may need to tinker with my bios settings to resolve the hard drive issue, but I have a feeling it's smply not going to show up periodically due to a hardware boot issue. I've seen similar things like this in the past on other OS's. I built this machine about 8 or 9 years ago, but it's still pretty darn fast. 1Ghz PIII, 512mb RDRAM, and an ultra320 SCSI with a 15krpm Cheetah drive.

Comment

Working...
      X