X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disk config options in the installer

Hi.

I'm a linux dabbler. I've tried various flavors of linux over the last half dozen years or so. The computer I'm intending to put kubunutu on is a shared computer running WinXP used by my family. We have lots of stuff on it that would be a tragedy to loose so I must be VERY careful not to damage anything when I install Kubuntu 8.10.

My question is; What does the option "use largest continuous free space" mean on the disk configurations portion of the install routine?

I put a new 500Gb drive in my computer a while ago and created a new Windows install on it in an 80Gb partition. I put one other 80Gb partition on it and have left the remainder of the disk unpartitioned - intending to put Linux in that space.

Is this unpartitioned space the space that the installation routine will use if I choose the option to use the Largest free space or will it try to use the largest unused space on existing partitions. The installation dialog is not clear.

I can't afford to screw this up so I would really appreciate some help.

Thanks!

Re: Disk config options in the installer

The definitive dual-booting guide: Linux, Vista and XP step-by-step
    Read first. Read again. Ask questions if not sure of something. The guide is considered by many to be the best around. I used it. Many here have as well.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi.

So, I found the answer to my question on the ubuntu documentation site. Go figure!

I now have a follow-on question.

Based on my research so far, I think I want to have the following partitions
      /
      /usr
      /var
      /tmp
      /home
      /boot
      <swap>

I have 138Gb of free space. The computer is going to be a family computer. 6 users. Mostly web browsing, Email, and games. Lots of games...

How should I size these partitions so as not to waste space and have the most available space for users and ... lots of games...

I'm asking because I've read a lot of conflicting and dated advice.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Comment

You don't need a separate partition for every directory in the OS!

Unless you're doing something special, make no more than 3 partitions for Kubuntu:

10G for /
        1 or 2G for swap

the rest of your available space for /home

That's it. Here's more on the subject:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3090704.0

Comment

'nother point of view: someone sophisticated enough to partition like that, down to directories, would know what size they should be!

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
          X