Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

imtermittent boot up problem (boot to blank screen)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

imtermittent boot up problem (boot to blank screen)

machine will boot using grub and all looks good untill just before the logon screen (it maybe the logon screen) then the screen will start off blank and slowly britten with a big pixel look (u now Low res look). thats it i have to power down and start again. it may do it several times before it will progress to the logon screen, once logon it runs sweet.

Machine runs sweet once booted, hoping that i dont need to reinstall, just got machine happaning rite..

Is it hardware or software?
    anyone else with this issue or an i a one off?

PC Details.
    Toshiba L300 Laptop
    Celeron X86 (3 gig hertz, i think)
    160gb hdd
    2gb ram
    kubuntu 8.10 (with latest updates installed)
    Machine hardware seens to handle OS very well
    All hardware working (with some fixes) wifi, inbuilt cam, etc

Thanks
    Wosscoe Da&#39;Wabbit<br />(reforming Windows User)<br />No Dual Boot, go full on (cold turkey)

Re: imtermittent boot up problem (boot to blank screen)

I kinda have a similar problem. Every so often, Kubuntu won't boot up right. I have the splash removed so I can see where it's freezing at. I noticed it freezes at a few common spots but I'm not sure why.

Comment

hey Datman, sounds similar, i may try turning off the splash screen and see if its the same spot as your machine. ill keep you posted,,,, good idea, ops i can hear the grand daughter is into something she shouldn't be,,, grand kids ant they great.....lol.....seeya mate
      Wosscoe Da&#39;Wabbit<br />(reforming Windows User)<br />No Dual Boot, go full on (cold turkey)

Comment

Mine actually freezes in different areas. Sometimes its at "Loadig ACPI Modules" while others were often at "Checking File System"

I think those were the 2 spots that the boot ups freeze most often for me. I'll have to pay attention to check on that.

If you turn of the splash and notice that the bootup is freezing up, look up the raising skinny elephants solution. That helps reboot the system safely without having to use the power button.

Comment

turned off splash screen, but screen gos blank before that stage, bloody think hasn't played up again, don't that scare ya,,,

Comment

Working...
          X