Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just installed v8.10, PC locks up after logging in...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just installed v8.10, PC locks up after logging in...

Kubuntu v8.10.
    Installed on old compaq EVO small factor pc, installation went through fine.

Get to login screen, enter credentials and another small window shows with an icon/picture of a hard drive, 2nd icon looks like a settings icon and the other like a world (blue icon)

PC will just freeze.

If I quickly clickon the hdd icon then it goes to the desktop but freezes after a few seconds (short sound is heard, even though I disabled the on board audio).

Do I have a video driver issue? How to fix? (it is on-board, not sure if nvidia or intel)

Both mouse and keyboard respond, but nothing happens when you click on something (unless done very quick after seeing the desktop).

Same happens if using the live cd

Re: Just installed v8.10, PC locks up after logging in...

First things first -- here's how to avoid borking your new filesystem, while you work on the underlying problem:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3088251.0

Probably it is a video issue. If you can get it into text mode, run "lspci" and let's see what the graphics chip is.

Comment

alt+sysrq doesn't do anything.

How do I go into the terminal then to see what video chip it is?

Comment

It isn't just Alt+SysReq that you press. You press (and hold) those two keys, and then, in order, press and release the following keys: r s e i u b

"How do I go into the terminal then to see what video chip it is?"

From your boot menu, choose the recovery mode option (second boot item). This will boot you to the CLI (command line input). From there you can type lspci | grep Graphics to get the output identifying your graphics controller.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

That's what I meant but no difference.

Comment

the chip is Intel 82845GL, went to Intel and looks like the driver is posted.
            I just downloaded the driver, how do I install it then using the CLI?

Comment

The first approach is to try options that don't require any modification of the system. Reboot. At the Grub menu, look at the bottom of the screen. I believe it's the F6 key (might be the F4 key) that allows you to select Safe Graphics (VESA) to boot into. If this is successful - gets you to the GUI desktop environment - then we can work on getting the correct driver for the graphics card.

Comment

no F keys at the grub menu.

Comment

Hangs with desktop effects on Intel 830MG and 845G video cards

There is a bug in the Intel video driver for the older intel 830 and 845 integrated video cards that are used on laptops like the IBM R30. Desktop effects with compiz will not work on those chips and will freeze the system. For new installations, please install using the safe graphics mode (press F4 in the startup screen) on these systems and disable desktop effects via System -> Preferences -> Appearance, clicking on "Visual effects" and choosing "None".
                  Okay. F4/F6 keys only available when running/installing from the LiveCD. From the Grub boot menu, select the second entry (recovery mode). This will provide a Fix option where you can have the system attempt to fix the xserver.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog

[font=Verdana
                    Okay. F4/F6 keys only available when running/installing from the LiveCD. From the Grub boot menu, select the second entry (recovery mode). This will provide a Fix option where you can have the system attempt to fix the xserver.[/font]

I had tried this option and tried again with no positive results.....

Comment

NOTE: the Safe Graphics mode using the Live CD works, pc doesn't lockup.

So it looks definitely like a driver issue, how can I update the driver then?

Comment

I'm assuming that since the installation you haven't been able to get past the login screen. That assumed, I'd (if I were in your position) reinstall the OS and opt for the Safe Graphics mode for the install. That will at least get you a working 8.10 system. At that point, working on getting your graphics card properly recognized/configured can be worked on.

Comment

well, I can get past the login screen as previously said, but it locks up quickly at the desktop.

I was hoping I could update the driver using the CLI.

Will try reinstalling, can I chose this mode during install also ??

Comment

"Will try reinstalling, can I chose this mode during install also ??"

Yes. Look at the bottom of the LiveCD boot menu.

Comment

ok, trying right now.
                              Meanwhile, once I get this installed, how then update the driver as needed??

Please post info so I know ahead of time, thanks for all the help..!!

Comment

Working...
                              X