This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't automatically power down

I just installed Kubuntu 8.10 on a HP dv2600 notebook. I get this error when shutting down:
    halt:unable to iterate IDE devices:no such files or directory
    Shortly after, i partitioned my hard drive (made Kubuntu's partition smaller to make room for a dual boot Vista), the error stopped appear.

Now, instead, hen shutting down, the notebook goes through the kubuntu screen with the blue bar. After that, it goes to a blank black screen but stays there and never powers down. I tried the following method but that doesn't fix it:

Originally posted by teemac

When selecting shutdown or restart, the system gets to the last Kubuntu splash screen and cycles between the splash screen and a blank screen. The only way to turn off the machine is hold in the power button.

ALTERATION 2:

Root mode konqueror again

/boot/grub/menu.lst

Add this following line to the end of the first Kernel line:

apm=power-off

(add a space before the addition)

(For some reason it took a couple of reboots for these to stick - but works perfectly now)
    I'm not sure what else to do or try at this stage.... Can anyone help me out here? Thanks in advance

Re: Can't automatically power down

Actual poweroff of a laptop seems to be problematic. I had it 'once,' and then it went away. What happens since then, and now, is that the OS is shutdown, but the laptop has to be powered off manually after that. You can 'see' this if you remove the quiet and splash boot kernel options. You will then see, when opting to shutdown, is a final message of "System halted" at which point the OS has been stopped, and you can then power off your laptop with the power button.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      Actual poweroff of a laptop seems to be problematic. I had it 'once,' and then it went away. What happens since then, and now, is that the OS is shutdown, but the laptop has to be powered off manually after that. You can 'see' this if you remove the quiet and splash boot kernel options. You will then see, when opting to shutdown, is a final message of "System halted" at which point the OS has been stopped, and you can then power off your laptop with the power button.
      Can you elaborate how to remove the quite splash? Also, if indeed the system has halted and can be powered off, how do I set it to automatically do that? It is quite an annoyance to have to sit and wait for the OS to shut down before manually powering off the system, not to mention a waste of time...

Comment

You edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst file (as root) and remove quiet and splash from the kernel line entry:
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic root=UUID=7fdf0d2b-dd11-441c-a577-4936232049f2 ro quiet splash
        If I knew how to get the system to poweroff the laptop I'd be happy to tell you. As I said, it only did it once. After that ....
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi Dat,

thanks for posting the all important message at the end (halt:unable to iterate IDE devices:no such files or directory)

According to this the bug should have been fixed in 8.10!Go and tell them you know different!
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I took a look at the bug you linked me to, but that seems like it has to do something with the network manager, which doesn't seem to be the problem in my case?

i did a search on that site and found a bug related to mine so i updated it:
            https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/298402

I hope someone there can help me out.

I took off the splash and it looks like this was still popping up and preventing my notebook from powering down
            "halt:unable to iterate IDE devices:no such files or directory"

Comment

What file controls the shutdown process? How do I see what changes have occurred to it?

For some reason, my notebook automatically started powering beginning last night. I haven't made any changes or updates as far as I am aware.

Comment

Working...
              X