X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clean install

Hi,

I just update to intrepid, and i like it, but because of old kde3 stuuf still cluttering my system I would like to do a clean install of intrepid but i don't want to lose all the spiffy packages i installed AND i have no room to backup all the music in my home direcory.

Is there a way to backup all the non-standard packages and reload them after a clean install?

AND is there a way to do a clean isntall without losing all the stuff in my home directory?

Re: Clean install

You won't lose your /home directory if you don't format it.

Just tell the installer to format / and mount it, and to mount /home but not to format it.

Your settings will be preserved, but you will have to re-install applications, etc.

Edited to add:

Apt-on-CD can back-up your .deb files, i think.

It's in the repositories.

Comment

Originally posted by aged hippy
      You won't lose your /home directory if you don't format it.
      Wait, wait, wait -- he didn't say /home was on its own disk partition!

If /home is part of the existing filesystem, you'll have to back up your data to some external storage or CD or something, prior to installing 8.10.

I believe Apt-On-CD is a package that you can use to essentially copy your existing installation configuration. So that's a good way to capture your packages. But you need to back up the data the old fashioned way -- copy it somewhere safe.

Comment

Aaarghhhhh.

Jumping to conclusions.

My Apologies.

I sincerely hope it's not too late.

Comment

Working...
        X