This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I could not give up on 8.1o

Well I have been giving 8.10 some bad reviews, but for some reason I could not put it down.
    I guess I was not to happy with the first 10 installs of 8.10 but I could not put it out of my mind. I just keep thinking of it. I looked at Mandriva 2009 this week and every thing worked. This made me want to get 8.10 to work for me even more. Not to keen on RPM based installs.

So yesterday I sat down and did not get up till I had most of my issues resolved. I did just that!!

Issues I fixed

1) Digital Camera not working. This was a big issue for me as I do all the photos with my laptop.
    The fix, I installed Picasa 3 beta and this worked. I was able to get my photos off the camera.

2) Samba, I am sure I could have gotten this to work but when I installed it on the last 10 time it would not show up in the setup menu.
    The fix, SMB4K. I am able to load it and connect to my NAS, and other XP machine.

3) Wifi, Well its not truly fixed but it works well. The issue when it connects to my router it only has 2 bars, 8.4.1 would give me 4 bars.
    The fix, once I have a connected to the wifi during boot I simply reconnect after the boot process is over. I then get 4 bars.

4) Power manager the default one sucks and would not turn off my desplay.
    The fix, install Kpower

What I have installed and running.
    Compiz
    Avant Window nav
    Picasa 3 beta
    OpenOffice 3
    FireFox3
    Lancelot
    VLC
    Sun Java
    Pigdin
    Smb4k
    Kpower
    TrueCrypt file encryption
    HP 3330 network printer
    ATI drivers
    and some smaller stuff.

So I am going to keep this on the laptop at this point.
    There are a large number of post I have read to get things working, and I want to thank every one
    who has posted fixes. I would love to thank every one by name but I have read so many fixes I can not remember who to thank.

Noel Vh.

++Noel Vh++<br />Desktop support Lv II, III<br />Large Pharma company<br />New Jersey USA

Re: I could not give up on 8.1o

Does Picasa list cameras that it can handle? All the default cameras in the list for the normal Kubuntu setup are older modes and miss mine by one model newer.

Comment

After one week, I find that I've had to search to get most up and running with 8.10.
      My camera also missed
      Still does not recognize my display correctly - BTW - 8.04 loaded up everything including display correctly from initial load. This I do not fully understand about a new release I was under the impression that the "Ubuntu line" was all about keeping it simple for users. I recently installed Sidux which is listed for intermediate users and I must admit that it has everything up and running seamlessly.

Comment

"10 installs"

Someone who re-installs more frequently than me !

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
          Does Picasa list cameras that it can handle? All the default cameras in the list for the normal Kubuntu setup are older modes and miss mine by one model newer.
          I have know idea what cameras Picasa support. I also dont know if there is a list. What I found is if you do a lsusb and you see the camera it should work with Picasa. Please know that when or if you use Picasa when you select import on the camera it dose not look as thou it is working. I left it to let the dog out and came back to see it had in fact imported the photos.

Noel Vh
          ++Noel Vh++<br />Desktop support Lv II, III<br />Large Pharma company<br />New Jersey USA

Comment

Originally posted by Dart
            After one week, I find that I've had to search to get most up and running with 8.10.
            My camera also missed
            Still does not recognize my display correctly - BTW - 8.04 loaded up everything including display correctly from initial load. This I do not fully understand about a new release I was under the impression that the "Ubuntu line" was all about keeping it simple for users. I recently installed Sidux which is listed for intermediate users and I must admit that it has everything up and running seamlessly.
            I found that Ubuntu 8.10 installs every thing with out issue. So there are lots of bugs in Kubuntu 8.10.

I am sure it will get there for you.

I tried Mandriva KDE 4 and every thing worked, so that gave me hope for KUB 8.10.

Noel Vh

Comment

Originally posted by aged hippy
              "10 installs"

Someone who re-installs more frequently than me !

I had one big bug up my ASS about this. I had to do it. I found every time I installed it some thing new would go wrong or go right.

I did find that the best way was to run the live CD get the wifi connected then install from the desktop installer. I am guessing it pulled down some files during the install that the others did not.

Oh and practice make perfect, right Well it running good now on this old laptop of mine (IBM T43 60gb HD, 2gb ram, ATI 300x 128mb video)
              Noel Vh.

Comment

I'm glad to hear it's running well... at last.

There are certainly bugs to be squished as yet...

Comment

I had one big bug up my ASS about this. I had to do it. I found every time I installed it some thing new would go wrong or go right.

I did find that the best way was to run the live CD get the wifi connected then install from the desktop installer. I am guessing it pulled down some files during the install that the others did not.

Oh and practice make perfect, right Well it running good now on this old laptop of mine (IBM T43 60gb HD, 2gb ram, ATI 300x 128mb video)
                  Noel Vh.
                  maybe 8.10 is similar to learning a musical instrument - the more you install it (practice); the better it performs

Comment

FWIW I took a look at Mandriva 2009 (KDE 4.1) that was on the cover of the latest Linux Format magazine. Frankly, it looks a very attractive release. Whilst I didn't look at it for too long I immediately saw that my USB bluetooth dongle worked the moment I plugged it in.

Comment

If it was not for the RPM based system, I may have stayed with it. I am now a deb guy even tho I started with Red Hat.

Noel Vh

Comment

Working...
                      X