X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(solved) password not recognized

Help!
    I cannot enter Linux. Kubuntu boots up fine but it wont enter the program after typing my password. It keeps on coming back to the desktop as though my password is incorrect. I haven't changed my password and have been using this version (8.10) since it came out. I have often restarted the computer and never had a problem like this. Is there a work around to enable me to login or do I have to reinstall Kubuntu?
    Errol

Re: password not recognized

Hi errol,

your disk may be 100% used. Could you enter a command line (press CTRL+ALT+F4) and do a
    Code:
    df -h
    If you see anything with 100% then free up some space (usually "sudo apt-get clean" frees up quite a lot and see reply #2 here: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...6504#msg156504).

Let us know how you get on.

Oh, and to get back to kdm do a CTRL+ALT+F7
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Hi Toad
      Thanks for your reply. Using ctrl-alt-f4 I found the problem. My home partition is 100% full. The second part (sudo apt-get clean) didn't do anything even when I defined the folder (/home) or the drive (/sdc1/dev3 or whatever). Also ctrl-alt f7 didn't do the trick. I guess I'll have to use gparted and then resize(enlarge) my home partition. Unless there is another way to clean.
      Errol

Comment

Ah, you have a separate home partition. That explains why the apt-get clean didn't work. And yes, either chuck something in it or make it bigger with gparted.

Either way, you sound like you're on your way
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Yup I have a separate home partition. I'll try the LiveCD and maybe remove stuff or use gpated to enlarge the partition.
          Thanks for your help.
          Errol

Comment

Working...
          X