This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boot management on 8.10

8.10 is installed on a single drive currently. I need a partition manager to add a second partition, and I need a boot manager to load FreeBSD as a second OS on my computer.

Can anyone recommend a couple of pieces of software that can be run through the 8.10 OS top accomplish this?

I much prefer the GUI approach, like Bootmagic and Partition Magic in Windows. Is there something similar for 8.10, that is completely user friendly?

Thanks,
    Andy

Re: Boot management on 8.10

It would probably be safer to use the GParted Live disc, available from here:
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

Comment

Agree with aged hippy that you should use the GParted Live CD (partition editor) to be sure and safe.

Boot FreeBSD? ...

No experience with FreeBSD; however, the GRUB manual indicates you should be able to load it using the GRUB already installed in the MBR of your drive (and that is pointing at the GRUB files in your Kubuntu partition under /boot/grub). The GRUB boot menu is /boot/grub/menu.lst, and it would appear that all you need to do is include a boot stanza entry for FreeBSD as follows:

Quote:
      Thus, we'd recommend loading the very flexible loader /boot/loader instead. See this example:
      grub> root (hd0,a)
      grub> kernel /boot/loader
      grub> boot
      The GRUB manual should also show you how to designate the FreeBSD partitions (as in that example).

GRUB Manual:
      http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/
      I used the HTML version in this post:
      http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html

I've been able to boot up all sorts of OSs using GRUB by rigging up the right boot stanza to include in /boot/grub/menu.lst, sometimes by trial and error (or by checking specialized OS forums).

How-to for editing (as root) /boot/grub/menu.lst:
      How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0
      --- HOW To: Change the Default Operating System (Also: Changing the timeout, boot menu, and other tips) Reply #1 <<<=== editing menu.lst

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

thanks tons guys!

Really digging my Kubuntu system, even with the minor little issues I have regarding color depth. I run W2K in the background using VBox, and have loaded Solaris, and PC-BSD in the same manner. So far, straight up Kubuntu is the best. OpenSolaris was extremely stable, but not very intuitive. Kubuntu is nice and compact, loads quick, and doesn't seem to have a lot of extra overhead bogging it down. PC-BSD seems like an attempt to make Kubuntu idiot proof, so it's frustrating trying to get anything done, because there are no tools, and no adept. apt-get doesn't seem to function either.

Comment

Glad to be able to help.

Comment

Originally posted by andreasj64
            PC-BSD seems like an attempt to make Kubuntu idiot proof, so it's frustrating trying to get anything done, because there are no tools, and no adept. apt-get doesn't seem to function either.
            PC-BSD is derived from FreeBSD and thus uses a BSD (Berkley Software Distribution) kernel rather than a GNU/Linux one. It is more similar to Apple OSX than Debian GNU/Linux from which Kubuntu is derived.

What you have observed about PC-BSD is because it is not a Debian derivitive. Regarding package management in PC-BSD:
            "PC-BSD's package management system takes a different approach to installing software than many other Unix-like operating systems. Instead of using the ports tree directly (although it is still optionally available), PC-BSD uses files with the .pbi filename extension which, when double-clicked, brings up an installation wizard program. An autobuild system tracks the FreeBSD ports collection and generates new PBI's daily. The generated PBI's are maintained at the PC-BSD software repository.
            All software packages and dependencies are installed in their own self-contained directories in /Programs, decreasing confusion about where the binary programs reside and reducing the possibility of breaking a package if system libraries are upgraded or changed. The PC-BSD package manager also takes care of creating categorized links in the KDE menu and on the KDE desktop.
            The PC-BSD project claims its style of package management, which is similar to that of major operating systems such as Microsoft Windows, is simpler than that of other Unix-like systems."

Comment

The PC-BSD project claims its style of package management, which is similar to that of major operating systems such as Microsoft Windows, is simpler than that of other Unix-like systems
              Originally posted by andreasj64
              PC-BSD seems like an attempt to make Kubuntu idiot proof, so it's frustrating trying to get anything done, because there are no tools, and no adept.
              Bingo !

Comment

Working...
              X