This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8.10 will not boot to live

I had an earlier thread about the Beta and RC not starting. I just got around to down loading final release and I have the same problem. It locks up about where KDM should be loading and I get as bad as I hate say it a blue screen of death. The only thing that will work is the off button. Press it and it shuts down and ask you to remove the disk. The Alpha 4 was the last release that will boot. I can install Alpha 4 load all the updates and it works correctly. As before, the final release of Ubuntu works correctly. There has been a kernel update sense final release but there has not been a new daily build sense final as far as can tell.

I am only using the i386 version because I need flash to work correctly and I don't like the way the 32bit Firefox runs in the 64bit version.
    System76 Kudu Professional 17.3 Laptop 8Gig Memory Kubuntu 14.04

Re: 8.10 will not boot to live

"Gigabyte GV-NX76G256D-RH Video (Nvida 7600GS)"

You have a video conflict. When you boot to the LiveCD, look at the bottom of the menu screen. I believe it's F6 that allows you to boot using safe (VGA) graphics. If this is the case, then choosing this option should allow you to proceed and finish the installation. Then you can get the driver for your video card installed and configured.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I could not get 8.10 i386 to boot into my 64 bit either...but 64 iso worked fine.

Comment

I have similar problem. After the progress bar loads full next thing I get is messed up -half black -half pink screen. :-/ FX 5700 LE

update: graphics safe mode did not help...

I really need to work this out, because if I install and fail one more time It will be a double-pain in the a**. Last time the kernel did not support my network card chip.

Comment

I have tried the safe mode and get the same result.

Comment

Here's the situation: live cd work's on my laptop, but doesn't work on my desktop pc :-/

Comment

Originally posted by jwhibdon

and I don't like the way the 32bit Firefox runs in the 64bit version.
              The new 177.82 driver from Nvidia ostensibly (according to release notes) addresses Firefox performance issues.

You might want to take another look at the 64-bit OS, if you're still fiddling about with it.

Comment

Well to my surprise the 64bit Kubuntu booted up correctly and installed without any problems. I have only been trying to install the i386 version because of Firefox problems. The 177.82 driver installed and works very good. Firefox someway I don't understand is even running the flash at dallascowboys.com. I did not not think flash worked in 64bit linux.

Still don't understand why 64bit Kubuntu will boot and 32bit will not.

John

Comment

Originally posted by jwhibdon
                  Still don't understand why 64bit Kubuntu will boot and 32bit will not.
                  John
                  I wonder about this too myself...BTW it's with both Ub and Kub so it's not a kde issue both 32 would not boot in my sys...only 64 for both versions.

Comment

I had the same problem. simply fix by manually configuring the vga:

During startup run

vga=###

get the numbers depending on your screen/video card

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_BI...o_mode_numbers

Comment

Working...
                    X