This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't upgrade from Hardy 8.04 to Ibex 8.10

Perhaps I'm missing something obvious, but I can't upgrade from Hardy 8.04 to Ibex 8.10. I've downloaded the Kubuntu Ibex CD. There are two upgrade paths I'm aware of: using adept with the "Full Upgrade" option, or booting from the new CD. Adept has greyed out the Full Upgrade option, so that doesn't work for me. And when I boot from the CD, I never see an "upgrade" choice. I eventually quit the new system since I didn't want to overwrite Hardy, just upgrade it.

What am I missing?

Re: Can't upgrade from Hardy 8.04 to Ibex 8.10

You can't upgrade using the LiveCD. To upgrade Hardy to Intrepid, follow these instructions.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Alternate CD for 8.10?

The instructions describe how to upgrade from Gutsy to Hardy, but not from Hardy to Intrepid. And they depend on having an alternate CD for Intrepid -- which I have not found.

Is it possible that the upgrade isn't supported yet even though the clean install is?

Comment

My bad. :P

Kubuntu 8.04 to 8.10 Upgrade
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The "Alternate CD" method worked fine for me. I had a problem with the dist-upgrade method, it kept telling me it was unable to authenticate to the server. When you use the alternate cd method, the first screen that comes up asks if you want to use files from the internet. I clicked yes and everything went smoothly.

Comment

Can anyone help me with upgrade too, please?
            I've tried upgrading two times already, each time with new problems.
            First time I tried Internet upgrade. It had finished fine but then I was unable to login. On logon screen the only session types available were "Default" and "Failsafe" (none of which could start KDE).
            Aftert that I restored 8.04 from backup and tried upgrading from alternate CD. This time I'm unable to boot at all: comp reboots right after GRUB starts working and before its menu is shown.
            I tried reinstalling GRUB from LiveDVD using the following:
            Code:
            sudo mount /dev/sda3 /mnt
            sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda3
            BTW, I use ntldr (WinXP is on /dev/sda1) as a primary boot loader. I've already tried creating GRUB's image with dd (this method used to work always) and with bootpart.exe, nothing helps.

Comment

Working...
            X