This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't get Kubuntu 8.10 to boot

I have downloaded both Kubuntu 8.10 and Ubuntu 8.10 and burned them onto DVDs. I've attempted to load each of them into Windows XP. (I only have one of them installed at a time.) Each seems to install as there is a 14.6 GB Ununtu folder on the C drive. When I reboot I get an option to run Windows XP or Kubuntu (or Ubuntu as the case may be). If I select Kubuntu all I get is the following:

Booting GRLDR...

On the next line there is a blinking cursor. However, nothing happens. The blinking cursor just keeps blinkiing but there's no indication that anything is running. I get the identical result using Ubuntu rather than Kubuntu.

I considered partitioning the C drive, but I was confused by the choices -- custom and manual. It wasn't clear to me just where the partition would be, whether it would wipe out Windows XP, and how difficult it would be to recover if I made a mistake.

What do I need to do to be able to open Kubuntu when it's installed within Windows XP?

Thank you.

Re: Can't get Kubuntu 8.10 to boot

You don't actually install it 'inside' XP, it sits happily beside it.

What size is your HD, and how much of it can you set aside for Kubuntu?

Comment

Re: Can't get Kubuntu 8.10 to boot

The definitive dual-booting guide: Linux, Vista and XP step-by-step

This guide, when followed exactly, works. I (and many others) have used it to set up a dual-boot system.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
      X