This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE starts only after one try of failsafe

I have problems with a Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex that has been installed from the scratch. In the beginning, the graphics worked fine (beside minor problems that shall not be topic of this posting). After playing around a bit with it, installing some styles and decorations, switching back and forth, one day after boot my screen consisted only of random pixels. This lead to the following current state:

1. After boot, KDE won't start correctly, after the loading screen of KDE (which works fine), the screen only shows random pixels.
    2. Failsafe won't work. Something seems to be not installed.
    3. After failing at loading a failsafe session, I can start a normal KDE session and everything is fine again.
    4. After the next boot, I'm back at step 1.

I've got an Asus P5B board and a GeForce 7900GT, using the nvidia hardware accelerated driver. I'm happy to send you log files, but I've got a bunch of them, so I don't really know which ones are interesting. I looked at them myself, but I did not find anything suspicious.

Thanks for your help already, I'm really puzzled and I can't find anything about this error here in the forum or using Google - perhaps I'm just missing the correct formulation to describe what my screen looks like.

Re: KDE starts only after one try of failsafe

I would start by re-installing the Nvidia driver, using EnvyNG, as per this:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...2816#msg152816

Comment

Thanks for the idea and sorry for the late answer. I was a little pressed over the week. I have now logged in again and got an error message from KWin, claiming to originate from libGLU.so.1. I reinstalled the package libglu1-mesa and it seems I have solved the problem by doing this. Let's hope I'm right, otherwise I will try out your input.

Comment

Well done the two of you

commander, could mark this thread as solved? See my signature...

Thank you!
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

If only it had held more than one reboot.

Sorry for alle people who want to benefit from this thread, I guess tomorrow I can tell if the re-install of the Nvidia driver will have solved it - with at least three tries of rebooting before celebrating.

Comment

Working...
          X