X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Root password prompted when mounting hard drives

Hi,
    I have 2 internal hardrives with several ntfs partitions.
    When I first installed kubuntu 8.10 the ntfs partitions were automounted and access all partitions without problems.
    But now, there is one hard drive that is not automonted at startup, and when I try to access it manually prompts me for the root password.
    How can I fix it and leave as it use to be?

This is my fstab file:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    # /dev/sdb6
    UUID=91b723f4-8cd1-4866-b98e-b5c299d91d05 / ext3 relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # /dev/sdb5
    UUID=17090229-f01b-4113-b73c-064a6f1ea452 none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

Thanks

Re: Root password prompted when mounting hard drives

Could you post the output of

Code:
    sudo blkid -L
    please. This will (hopefully) display all drives and partitions on your system.
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I never heard about this command.
      This is the output:

device fs_type label mount point UUID
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      /dev/sda1 vfat DellUtility (not mounted) 07D8-010A
      /dev/sda2 ntfs RECOVERY (not mounted) BC1E63D41E63866C
      /dev/sda3 ntfs WINDOWS (not mounted) 34024F1C024EE28A
      /dev/sda5 vfat MEDIADIRECT (not mounted) 2A6A-C734
      /dev/sdb1 ntfs DATOS /media/DATOS DE32CE9732CE7455
      /dev/sdb5 swap <swap> 17090229-f01b-4113-b73c-064a6f1ea452
      /dev/sdb6 ext3 / 91b723f4-8cd1-4866-b98e-b5c299d91d05
      /dev/sdc5 ntfs BACKUP /media/BACKUP C608802308801499

Comment

Isn't it great! Came out of dibl's box of tricks

Now we know what we are dealing with. Now just let us know which partitions are to be mounted.
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

The partitions I want to be auto-mounted at startup without prompt a passord are:
          /dev/sda3 and /dev/sdb1

sdb1 is mounted because when I clicked on the folder on Dolphin, it aked me for a passwrd and now is mounted.

Comment

Oops, I just noticed that the UUIDs are cut off from what you posted. We need to know the entire UUID to put an entry into the fstab.

If the output of sudo blkid -L is too long, post the output of sudo blkid.

Comment

No, those are the right UUIDs. For FAT32 and NTFS, the UUIDs are shorter strings than for Linux formats.

Here's an old post and at the end, it tells how to mount a NTFS drive manually:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3084679.0

You might want to test it that way, and then if it is working correctly, you can edit /etc/fstab and write the line to mount them automatically.

Comment

Here cometh the master himself

Thanks, dibl, never knew that (don't come into contact with those...).

Comment

There is are couple of things I do not understand:
                  1. Why do I have to mount manually? Kubuntu used to do it for me at first? Are not ntfs partitions auto-mounted on startup on your kubuntu?
                  2. If my fstab is empty, without any ntfs partition, why do they are shown in Dolphin?
                  Maybe is there any hidden script that has been broken?

Thanks

Comment

You don't have to mount them manually -- I just though it might be helpful to first test it by doing it that way, then to edit /etc/fstab to make it permanent.

No, the installer will not automatically set NTFS partitions to mount automatically, as far as I can remember. I haven't used NTFS in about 2 years now.

I think Dolphin (like blkid) is able to see that there are partitions, even when they are not mounted.

Comment

Ah ok thanks.
                      I thought that kubuntu auto-mounted the ntfs partitions at startup.
                      It will be solved editing the fstab then.

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Root password prompted when mounting hard drives

Yes.

During the boot process, Linux reads /etc/fstab and mounts the devices to the mount points as they are listed there. So, when you make the edits in /etc/fstab, that will be the way they are mounted at boot.

Comment

Working...
                        X