This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installation problem

When the Language screen comes up I can't select anything the keyboard quits working. I have tried 2 PS/2 keyboards and a USB keyboard all of them do the same thing. The computer is a AMD Athlon XP 1800+ in a MSI mother board (K7t-Turbo 2). Ant help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Installation problem

I got the keyboard to work, I have started the installation. I got a fail on the loading hardware drivers. Any ideas?

Comment

More questions than ideas, with the info given:

1. Is the installation CD a good one?
      - md5sum verified on the ISO file?
      - burned at 4x, DAO mode?

2. How did it work when the Live CD was booted?
      - were there any hardware anomalies?
      - did networking & browsing work correctly?
      - audio and video appeared to work correctly?
      - were any of the F4 options needed to get it to boot and display correctly?

It would help if you could boot the Live CD, open the System > Konsole, and enter
      Code:
      lspci
      and post the output -- that will show some of the hardware specifics.

Comment

1. The installation cd is good I have already installed it on another computer.
        2. I had to use the F4 option (safe graphics) to get it to start but it gave several input/output errors. The network was ok. After the errors it just sat there.

Comment

Possibly the one PC that you're having trouble with has a marginal optical drive on it -- that's the only variable I can think of, compared to the others. If it's not the CD, it must be the optical drive -- I have not heard of an "installer disconnects the keyboard" bug.

Comment

I finally got Kubuntu to install I am restarting right now. I logged in and it's starting up. It started up and I log in then it loads the desktop and it reboots. I have logged in 5 times and as soon as it loads the desktop it goes back to the login screen. Any ideas?

Comment

Yep, that's called "login loop". Different things can cause it. First thing to try is to boot Recovery Mode, and on the first screen choose "Fix X" and then when it's done choose "resume normal boot".

Comment

How do I boot into recovery mode?

Comment

If Kubuntu is the only OS on that computer, you don't see a boot menu, so you have to press Esc as soon as the boot process begins (a couple of seconds after the BIOS splash disappears). Then you'll see an option to use the down arrow to choose "Recovery Mode". This will boot to a maintenance screen (I hope).

Comment

Thanks for your help I done it but it done the same-thing. I ran repair packages and xfix again and I am rebooting. It is still doing the samething. Any ideas?

Comment

OK, next idea.

Boot Recovery Mode again. This time "Drop to Root prompt" or whatever that option is. You should be at a # prompt. If so:

Code:
                      mv /home/billie/.kde /home/billie/.kde_bak
                      where "billie" is your actual user name, of course.

Then
                      Code:
                      /etc/init.d/kdm start
                      And let's see what happens.

Comment

When it came to the login screen I couldn't use the keyboard or mouse. I ran the repair packages and I logged in but it is still doing the samething.

Comment

How big did you make your Kubuntu partition, and did you make a swap space?

Comment

I used the whole hard drive and I used the guided partioner.

Comment

Re-reading the thread, it is obvious that something went haywire at the very beginning. Do you know what changed when the keyboard suddenly decided to work?

The way it stopped in mid-installation, twice, suggests to me a problem with either (a) the CD burn or (b) your optical drive. In other words, it's not the type of thing that is caused by software, it is the type of problem that happens BEFORE there's any software running, when it's just the optical drive reading the CD.

If it were me, I'd be considering these ideas:

1. Burn a new CD, carefully and slowly.
                              2. Try my CD in other computers, to see if they read it OK.
                              3. Maybe try a different blank media brand.

That's all I can suggest -- the problems are with installation, not with configuration, as far as I can see.

Comment

Working...
                              X