X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: need help with grub

Oops, I missed that!

You installed grub into hd0,0, i.e. sda1

It pointed to something called /boot which it was looking for in /, i.e. sdc6 - NOT sdc1
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

.... i really ought to try and use two fingers when i type...

Comment

Originally posted by toad
        Oops, I missed that!

You installed grub into hd0,0, i.e. sda1

It pointed to something called /boot which it was looking for in /, i.e. sdc6 - NOT sdc1
        Yeah, that seems like a pretty accurate statement

which brings us full circle to my original post in which I was trying to run Grub within the live CD to fix it, but the "find" command wasn't working

Comment

I only quickly scanned this.
          Sometimes, the installation is faulty and the GRUB files do NOT get installed into /boot/grub. That usually means a bad CD.
          But if you say they are there (in your Kubuntu root filesyste, under /boot then /boot/grub), then re-check your syntax/typing in this statement:

grub> find /boot/grub/stage1

Looks like you have some spaces there. The only space should be after the word "find:"
          No other spaces.

What I know about 15 is here:
          How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
          http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0
          --- GRUB Errors -- common errors and what causes them and how to fix them, Reply #23

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Yeah, the files were in /boot/grub

I could mount the directory after i booted into the live CD

I'm pretty sure my find syntax was ok, i tried it about a dozen times

I also installed and reinstalled intrepid several times with the same problem each time

so who knows...not me

Comment

Originally posted by jwebster8

I also installed and reinstalled intrepid several times with the same problem each time

.... Possibly a Bad Burn?

Comment

Hmmm...
                Did you actually open /boot/grub and see stage1?
                Now, during the install of Kubuntu, GRUB files would have also gone into the same partition as Kubuntu is in.
                Then, later, you would manually copy those grub files into sdc1 and set up your boot from there.
                In sdc1, you must have
                /boot
                (which has the kernel & initrd files)
                and under that
                /boot/grub
                and in /boot/grub
                those several grub files you copied from Kubuntu /boot/grub.
                All correct?

You might just explore your drives (to pass the time).
                Live Kubuntu CD
                Konsole
                sudo grub
                grub> geometry (hd<press the TAB key now
                and you'll get a list of them
                (or, explore each one and just do each one grub> geometry (hd0), grub> geometry (hd1), grub> geometry (hd2), etc.)
                Just to see what you might see, see the device naming for yourself (i.e., how both BIOS and GRUB see your drives).
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
                  Hmmm...
                  Did you actually open /boot/grub and see stage1?
                  Now, during the install of Kubuntu, GRUB files would have also gone into the same partition as Kubuntu is in.
                  Then, later, you would manually copy those grub files into sdc1 and set up your boot from there.
                  In sdc1, you must have
                  /boot
                  (which has the kernel & initrd files)
                  and under that
                  /boot/grub
                  and in /boot/grub
                  those several grub files you copied from Kubuntu /boot/grub.
                  All correct?
                  yeah, the files were in /boot/grub

Let me see if I can explain it better...

I installed kubuntu 8.10 into my existing partitions that I was using for previous kubuntu installs, which were all on hard disk sdc

when i ran the installer, I chose to manually configure the partitions mainly because i wanted to preserve my /home partition.

in the manual dialog, i chose to mount the existing partitions as
                  sdc1 = /boot
                  sdc5 = swap
                  sdc6 = /
                  sdc7 = /home

I've done this many times without incident before

Then I hit continue and Intrepid installed without any problems, it never mentioned grub, so i assumed that it just did it automatically as it had in the past.

when the install was finished, I rebooted. But the boot halted at Stage 1.5 with error 2.

It didn't make it to the screen where you choose which OS to load, so I couldn't hit 'c' to get to a grub console. The only way I could get into anything was using the live CD

now, when I booted using the liveCD, kubuntu came up and I could get a konsole going.

the livecd doesn't mount all/any of the hard drives, so to see if grub was installed into the /boot partition, I had to mount it, so I
                  Code:
                  sudo mkdir /media/boot
                  sudo mount /dev/sdc1 /media/boot
                  At this point I could cd into /media/boot and the kernals were there and the grub directory was there and the stage files were in it etc...
                  that was all ok as far as i could tell

Then I started grub and tried to follow the directions in the GrubHowto that i linked to in the first post.

when I ran Grub>find /media/boot/grub/stage1, it returned a File not Found error. I assume that what 'find' does is point grub to the directory where all the files are that
                  grub needs in order to properly configure the mbr. The 'find' command kept saying 'File not found'...

which is where I came in.

Then from toads suggestion, i got a cd of supergrub and ran it. I chose the option to search for and use any existing grub configuration files, i ran it and it worked, now I'm booting fine.

You might just explore your drives (to pass the time).
                  Live Kubuntu CD
                  Konsole
                  sudo grub
                  grub> geometry (hd<press the TAB key now
                  and you'll get a list of them
                  (or, explore each one and just do each one grub> geometry (hd0), grub> geometry (hd1), grub> geometry (hd2), etc.)
                  Just to see what you might see, see the device naming for yourself (i.e., how both BIOS and GRUB see your drives).
                  I did this, and everything is as i expected except maybe this...

when i was doing the manual partitioning, I chose ext3 for the linux filesystems. Grub>geometry (hd2) says that the filesystem type is ext2fs. Is ext2fs he same as ext3?

Comment

Originally posted by aged hippy
                    Originally posted by jwebster8

.... Possibly a Bad Burn?

Maybe, i didn't check it, I'll do that if i get some time

Comment

and without the "media" in the string:
                      ?

I see sdc1.
                      But again, back to Kubuntu in sdc6, is there a /boot/grub and all files there, too?

Comment

OK, this is interesting

Code:
                        Grub> find /boot/grub/stage1

Error 15: File not found
                        Code:
                        #ls /boot/grub/

device.map
                        e2fs_stage1_5
                        stage1
                        Does this seem to support the theory that the grub that came with intrepid is buggy?

Comment

to answer your other question

I only have one /boot folder and it's mounted from sdc1

here's the entry from mtab

Code:
                          /dev/sdc1 /boot ext3 rw,relatime 0 0

Comment

I don't know, yet, what's wrong.

Of course, it looks like you are doing the find correctly--
                            (from the GRUB Manual 0.97):

find filename
                            GRUB searches all mountable partitions and prints the list of the devices which contain the file. The file filename should be an absolute file name.

Comment

Hey, I've been busy and haven't been able to fiddle around with this, but to continue...

Qqmike gave me an idea, 'Grub>find' can be used to find any file right?

So I tried searching for a file on my / partition that I knew was there...
                              Code:
                              grub> find /etc/mtab
                               (hd2,5)
                              It apparently works fine on my '/' partition, but...

Code:
                               Error 15: file not found
                              The grub that came with kubuntu doesn't seem to be finding my /boot partition (the partition I mount at /boot).

The grub that came on the supergrub CD apparently did see it.

Since my system is working now this isn't a huge issue for me, but it's curious, and if anyone is interested in troubleshooting it let me know what I can do to help.

Comment

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3099193.0

I think that's it, my friend. Sorry to imply that you might have been imagining things! See my post there; there's a good chance that your case falls somewhere in that. I had to install 8.10 myself into an existing multiboot configuration (separate GRUB partition setup) to see this up close, as you did.

Comment

Working...
                                X