This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems, problems

I try to do a new install of Intrepid (i.e. not an upgrade from Hardy) on my laptop, but I get many problems.

First of all, I have checked the md5 sum of the iso image and that's OK. Then before install, I perform an integrity test of the CD/DVD and that's OK too. I tried several burns: two different burn-drives, tried burning to CD or DVD, tried several brands of discs, I also downloaded a new image from another mirror. No matter what I try, the problems remain.

The install process itself seems to work fine. When I boot for the first time, the problems begin:
    • Sometimes the systems hangs after logon when the icons appear on the screen. If it freezes, it usually is when three icons appear (after the hard disk) and still are fuzzy. It does not react to Alt-Ctrl-F2 or alike; only pressing the power button a few seconds "helps".
    • After the first logon I see that there are updates/upgrades available. In adept I notice that there are English language packs (the only language to be installed) that did not install well. When I update the list of packages in adept, I see a dozen failed package names flashing by and then the list disappears. Once I got a message stating "Could not obtain a write lock on the cache".
    • The tune to be heard after logon is played only partially. Not a problem in itself, but I suspect it points to errors in the install process.
    • In the system tray a few icons are screwed up: they appear to be a mix of some icons.
    • In adept I see only a fraction of the amount of packages I could see in Hardy. For example, I cannot find Firefox, Firestarter, or the R statistical package. I have the feeling that adept works only partially.

I tried booting in recovery mode and did:
    • Repair broken packages. It did indeed work on some adept issues, but in the end all problems I had remained.
    • Fix X. This had apparerently no effect.

I have also installed Ubuntu (i.e. without "K") and there I have not yet seen any errors of this kind. I do however prefer Kubuntu - if it works for me.

Does anybody have a clue??
    Thanks!

System:
    Compaq Presario A970ed (T5750, 3GB)
    kubuntu-8.10-desktop-amd64.iso

Re: Problems, problems

What video card/chip do you have in the PC?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I cannot find it using Kubuntu. Vista says: Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset. I believe this corresponds to the X3100 mentioned on the bill.

Kubuntu 8.04.1 had no such problems, and I did not see anything wrong in the short period I had Ubuntu 8.10 installed.

BTW: Booting Kubuntu a few minutes ago, it hung again, but now after logon all 5 icons were clear when the system froze. I could very dimly see the Desktop window, Notes Plasmoid, and the taskbar. Additionally, the CapsLock led was blinking.

Comment

I've been having the same problem on a friends system and read something similar to it in one of the bug reports. From what I've read, though rather vague.. it is a problem with some of the on-board intel video chipset drivers. Right past the login screen, it gets to the point where there is a picture of a monitor, though not in complete focus, then locks up. And you cannot ctrl-alt-F? to get a console.
        Linux User #481054<br />Kubuntu User #24956

Comment

Same issue exactly after installing on a Dell Inspiron 1100 which the internet tells me has an Intel 845GL video chipset.

Comment

Working...
          X