This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X still dumb

Like the previous versions the first disappointment is X limits to 800x600, and missing the Kcontrol I can't change that easy, I even can't install one there is no such package, the problem is my Philips LCD 1024x768 can't be detected, I must change to generic monitor to change resolution, but without a functional display control panel I can't do that easy.
    Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only :P

Re: X still dumb

Hmmm... please don't get upset with the generic questions but have you tried system settings rather than kcontrol?

Comment

System setting what ?? how do I change the monitor type, I am sure this is where things go wrong.

Comment

I know exactly what you mean.... I have a system were the monitor and video card are not being properly detected and X freezes up so bad I have to hit the power button.... I have no way to change the driver or screen as I was able too in previous versions. The only reason I wanted 8.10 was the kernel. 8.04's kernel didn't like my C7-M processor much.... Now I have a faster system but it crashes.

I've NEVER had any previous Linux install lock up on me to tight my only option was to kill the power. To me 8.10 is still beta... They just pushed it out when they did because they promised an October release. It also bothers me that they didn't make KDE 3.5.10 the default since even KDE says KDE 4 doesn't have all of the functionality of 3.5.x yet...again that is what most would call beta.....

Each release seems to be getting buggier and buggier on release.

So far my experience with 8.10 I feel like I have MS Windows again........

Hey Shuttleworth i don't want or care if I havve a pretty OS, I want an OS that WORKS!

Comment

Yeah me feel the same, and I hated to see basic thing like X doesn't work properly, I can't even see the right button to push, and my h/w is not new how come it can't be detected, in previous versions I can change screen/monitor resolution easily with kcontrol, but now no such package I can install, bad >

Comment

OK, if you want to get out a non-existent X you can try:
            1. CTRL+ALT+Backspace
            2. CTRL+ALT+F1 through to F6

To stop KDM (the login manager):
            3. Use step two above to get away from tty7 (the first graphical tty) and into a CLI tty (any from 1 to 6)
            4. login
            5. type
            Code:
            sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
            To look at your current xorg.conf:
            6. cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
            7. follow the steps in there (i.r. run sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg)

To start kdm:
            8. sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start
            9. try to log in...

X still not working? Then repeat steps 1 to 5 followed by dibl's excellent little envy howto: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...2816#msg152816

Please let us know whether this worked for you!
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

You might want to check the 8.10 release notes, particularly the part about the new X.org, and see if that is relevant to your graphics chip:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/810

Comment

"System Settings" is the new name of Kontrol. In the end it is actually easier to use. They did hide a few functions though...

Comment

I don't know how 'system settings' can change monitor setting, it is limited at 800x800 max, I can't change model. My xorg.conf is all 'default' even after safe mode re-detection, is that my Philips 150B2 too old !? I am using ATI may not have the correct driver installed, but even VESA supports over 800x600, according to my pass experience it is the monitor limited that.

Comment

When I do a lshw I see this :

*-display UNCLAIMED
                    description: VGA compatible controller
                    product: Rage 128 Pro Ultra TF
                    vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
                    physical id: 0
                    bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
                    version: 00
                    width: 32 bits
                    clock: 66MHz
                    capabilities: agp agp-2.0 pm vga_palette cap_list
                    configuration: latency=64 mingnt=8

I don't know what is 'unclaimed', and I install the ATI driver with Synaptic but still not work, when I do a modprobe -nv ati I got this : FATAL: Module ati not found, what is up here, I don't have this problem with 8.04 on the same PC >

Comment

Originally posted by toad
                      OK, if you want to get out a non-existent X you can try:
                      1. CTRL+ALT+Backspace
                      2. CTRL+ALT+F1 through to F6

To stop KDM (the login manager):
                      3. Use step two above to get away from tty7 (the first graphical tty) and into a CLI tty (any from 1 to 6)
                      4. login
                      5. type
                      Code:
                      sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
                      To look at your current xorg.conf:
                      6. cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
                      7. follow the steps in there (i.r. run sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg)

To start kdm:
                      8. sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start
                      9. try to log in...

X still not working? Then repeat steps 1 to 5 followed by dibl's excellent little envy howto: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...2816#msg152816

Please let us know whether this worked for you!
                      Have you tried this in 8.10?

1. in my case it is locking up solid. no killing X or jumping to a terminal.... only choice is power button.

2. "dpkg -reinstall -phigh xserver-xorg does nothing anymore but let you change your keyboard settings.

They've really messed up the users ablity to modify their adapter/screen settings.

I imagine this is happening across all Debian based distros, It's insane that they screwed with something that worked fine and now made it unusable....

Comment

Originally posted by gimfred
                        "System Settings" is the new name of Kontrol. In the end it is actually easier to use. They did hide a few functions though...
                        No, System Setting is just system settings. Kcontrol gave you so much more, and it isn't available in 8.10.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

X is working but locked at 800x600 max due to the system refuse to use the ATI driver I installed with Synaptic, and I wish I can get back kcontrol, I've this problem before and fixable with kcontrol, stupid enough now I can't even see the full screen and no scrolling, I can't push the right button which I can't see, may I ask for exchange kcontrol with the new eyes candy

Comment

Since ATI is not supported well in Linux, I will try other made but which one work best ??

Comment

Working...
                            X