Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have Separate Home partition - need special 8.10 upgrade procedure?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have Separate Home partition - need special 8.10 upgrade procedure?

If I remember correctly when I upgraded to 8.04 I had to use the alternate install in order to preserve my separate Home partition. Do I need to do something special again when moving to 8.10?

Re: Have Separate Home partition - need special 8.10 upgrade procedure?

If you upgrade through Adept you shouldn't have any issues with that at all. I haven't had any problems.

If you use an upgrade CD you may need to do some extra steps that I don't know about.

Comment

If you install with a CD, choose Manual Install, and tell the partitioner to format / (and mount it as such), and tell it to mount /home as /home but not to format it.

As far as i'm aware, there should be no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by aged hippy
        If you install with a CD, choose Manual Install, and tell the partitioner to format / (and mount it as such), and tell it to mount /home as /home but not to format it.

As far as i'm aware, there should be no problems.
        I can confirm that this approach works, just to be safe I used the same username and login as before.

Once I was up and running I re-installed my applications and they picked up their data and settings exactly as before.
        Kubuntu 20.04(AMD64)/KDE 5

Comment

Used same procedure as quarkslot (after dist upgrade didn't work).
          Use same user name, and you'll be able to pick up everything as it was in hardy.

Comment

Working...
          X