This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Few "Glitches"

Greetings, I currently have a few minor glitches I was wondering if I could get a hand with. None of these are really major but I strive for a near-perfect linux install as I am sure most of you do so I wanted to try and squash as many of these as possible.

I currently have 8.10 (I'd assume RC via the updates at this point), running on an HP Pavillion laptop model: dv9610us, which is the AMD Turion64 dual-core model with the onboard nvidia video. Aside from needing to use fwcutter to get my wifi working, everything else seems to be working just fine (thumbs up to you dev guys!). As I stated, I have a few minor glitches so let me get to the list then.

1) For some reason, on boot I am required to repeatedly press or hold enter (holding CTRL or most any other key seems to give me the same effect), in order for my boot to go through. I've inspected my kern.0.log, to find no real error to speak of. It may actually happen in two places though only one I can seem to be near definite on, which is somewhere during the USB configs. Most I can figure is that it sort of just "sits there", when I hold CTRL (or any other key), the HD access light begins to blink vigorously before eventually resetting the progress bar to where it does it's final sweep before switching to KDE's loading screen. There are no real errors to speak of unless they'd show somewhere other than the kernel log but I'd love it if I could boot/reboot my system without needing to hold a random key.

2) CTRL-ALT-F1 -> F6 does not work. I just get a black screen, but no terminal access to speak of. This doesn't really bother me too much since I can still boot into "safe mode" then to shell if there's anything I need to fix, but it does add extra steps I normally shouldn't have to do to get the same results. Especially since I can't (re)start KDM via "/etc/init.d/kdm restart" while messing with KDE. I've come across a few posts around the net stating that this is some sort of frame buffer issue but none of the "fixes" I've found thus far have worked. So it'd be pretty awesome of I could get that remedied.

3) The last problem I have is just sort of... odd... I've seen it mentioned before but no-one seems to have an answer so I've just kinda been waiting for the final release to see if it gets fixed but I figured I'd ask anyway. Sometimes the icons in the system tray turn black, disappear partially or have transparency issues. Again, not that big an issue, just kinda been hoping it fixes itself but if someone else has a fix... again I figured I'd ask.

That's about it... everything else works like a dream. Even have my Intuos3 Tablet installed properly and fully functional. I've attached my kernel log in case it helps anyone. Many thanks in advance.

~Aaron
    Attached Files
    Linux User #481054<br />Kubuntu User #24956

Re: Few &quot;Glitches&quot;

Can't help on most fronts, I'm afraid, but the icons in the panel issue sounds like an nvidia-related problem that is triggered by certain applications (most notably OpenOffice). There's no fix at the moment, we're just waiting on nVidia to produce a new driver.

Comment

I think all three problems are related -- I think it's something to do with the video system and/or driver.

In the Konsole:

Code:
      dmesg
      after booting will show the process that the system followed in identifying and initiating the hardare

Code:
      lspci
      will show the IDE and PCI bus location of your graphics chip

Take a look at those, and then if you're wondering about whether the video driver is appropriate, you can search here and at Ubuntu Forums, using the model of your graphics chip and maybe learn more about what is needed to make it work correctly.

Comment

My first issue listed turns out to be an acpi issue. It's not "fixed" because thats a necessity for laptops but adding acpi=off temporarily to the boot options caused my laptop to immediately boot without hesitation.

Comment

I decided to provide a bit of updating to this thread I started in case anyone had the same sort of problems.

1) The boot issue is with a specific set of motherboard chips (which i believe is all nvidia) and has trickled down through multiple kernels. There's currently a bug report on it so it will be fixed eventually. There are a few "temp fixes" that can be found on the report page 2 of which seem to work best, being:

apci=noirq
          (this seems to disallow apci from routing IRQs)
          ...and...

hpet=disable
          (some sort of clocking timer for cpu processes)

2) ... Still unknown, I believe this is a non-functional frame buffer loading instead of one that actually works but I can't seem to find a work around for it. Unfortunately it means I am required to reboot if I have any problems with KDE and boot into a pure console, do my repairs, then reboot again. I read somewhere that (?)ubuntu's have a "wierd" frame buffer setup, so I am going to keep looking into it.

3) This isn't fixed yet but it is an issue with the "System Tray" itself. I heard there's a fix circulating but it's not made it to any repository yet. I've come across a few "nightly-builders" talking about it, but, I've also read that this issue is to be completely fixed by 4.2 (supposedly). According to my findings they intend on releasing a completely rebuilt version that doesn't glitch, have disappearing icons, etc. So I guess that one is just a wait out, also I read that it's mostly a nvidia driver issue that nvidia refuses to fix, not sure on the validity of that.. since most everyone blames nvidia when things go awry in linux.

Anywho, I hope someone else got some use out of my research, and if I come across any other fixes for these issues I will post them promptly.

Comment

Working...
          X