This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

from beta to final release

If I've kept up with all upgrades I should be at RC now and a bit after final I should be there after upgrades. Correct? I'd hate to d/l a ~700K file ifn I ain't godda 8) Hoo sez I cna't speel

Thanx,
    Bob
    Being able to access the internet whilst answering a call of nature was 'one of life's most liberating experiences.'  Vic Hayes

Re: from beta to final release

Yes.

Comment

Thanx dibl, appreciate the confirmation! Good stuff this Intrepid Ibex
      Being able to access the internet whilst answering a call of nature was 'one of life's most liberating experiences.'  Vic Hayes

Comment

A related question:

At the moment I've got / and swap on 1 disk drive and /home on another.

If I decide to do a complete re-install of Kubuntu when final comes out i.e. format / but leave /home untouched will the new install automatically connect to the data on /home - assuming I keep my username and password the same?

Or will I need to do a bit of work to get everything up and running again?

My definition of data includes Kontact (e-mails, contacts to-dos etc.) and other application settings.
        Kubuntu 20.04(AMD64)/KDE 5

Comment

You will have to indicate in the installer that the partition that you presently have mounted as /home is to be mounted as /home in the new installation. It won't happen automatically -- you'll have to mark it during that part of the installation process. But once you do that, the rest of it will happen automatically.

Comment

Just ensure that you don't tell the installer to format the /home partition, lest you loose everything within.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Got it, thanks for the advice.

From what I've read in this thread as long as I keep up with the updates for beta I'll already be be running 'final' by the time it is oficially released, but this is useful to know should I wish to do a clean install at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                You will have to indicate in the installer that the partition that you presently have mounted as /home is to be mounted as /home in the new installation. It won't happen automatically -- you'll have to mark it during that part of the installation process. But once you do that, the rest of it will happen automatically.
                I followed your advice and it worked a treat, all the data and settings are being picked up as I re-install each application, fantastic!

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                X