Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

dist upgrade doesn't update GRUB - solved!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dist upgrade doesn't update GRUB - solved!

Hi All,

I decided to try a dist-upgrade as per the instructions at kubuntu.org and it appeared to work properly but GRUB wasn't updated. I don't know how to get it to load the OS now.

I've now got two installs of II on my hard drive, one by upgrade that isn't listed in Grub, and the other one that doesn't really work at that well.

Grub still has the listing for Hardy. When I try to boot into that I get a bunch of crazy graphic characters on the screen..

Re: dist upgrade doesn't update GRUB

We'll get you back on the road

Simplest way is to google "super grub disk", download the iso, boot it and have it adjust your /boot/grub/menu.lst to reflect all the vmlinuz files (kernels) in your /boot folder.

You can do this manually as well, of course.

Let us know what you prefer and how you get on or post any further questions.
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I'm trying super grub disk right now. Hope it goes well!

Comment

ok that fixed GRUB nicely!

BUT now when I login at KDM it doesn't show the loading splash screen it just flashes black and then a bunch of symbols all over the screen and it just sits there.

Gonna check the forum for this problem but if you have a link to a fix that sure would be a help!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kev

Comment

I followed attila_66's instructions here

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3097690.0

now I don't get the crazy graphics but I can't get past the login screen either lol it just keeps coming back to KDM.

**** Update, I had to select KDE in the "Session Type" menu. Now I can boot into KDE again!!!! Woot!

Kev

Comment

Re: dist upgrade doesn't update GRUB - solved!

That can indicate a space problem. Reboot into recovery mode. At the prompt type:
            Code:
            df -hTxtmpfs
            and note the Use% for your root partition. If it is, or very close, to 100%, you will have to do some house cleaning on your root partition to delete unnecessary files. The usual way is to clean out the package cache with the following commands:
            Code:
            sudo apt-get autoclean && apt-get autoremove && apt-get clean
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Well done, all fun stuff there Hope you have found the command line option.
              Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

it wasn't a space issue, there's nearly 200 GB of free space on that drive

Thanks for help!!

Kev

Comment

Working...
                X