X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black screen BEFORE login

Hi all,

I have just started getting the following problem in 8.10 KDE 4.1

When I start up the computer, grub loads and everything seems to be going ok and the BEFORE the login screen the screen goes black and everything seems to stop (i.e. no hard drive motion etc).

Then, if I press Ctrl + Alt + Backspace

Or, Ctrl + Alt + F1 and then Ctrl + Alt + F7

X-Server starts up and the login screen loads and everything works fine.

In other words, it seems that X-Server is not loading up automatically on boot, and I have to kick it to start.

Any ideas as how to solve this one?

Cheers

Re: Black screen BEFORE login

Yep, I've seen that a couple times too. I have the impression that my video driver installation is compromised somehow by an update. Each time I have re-installed my video driver and then manually started X, the problem has disappeared. You might want to do try that, if you have a proprietary video driver installed.

Comment

Hi Dibl,

Thanks for the response. I don't have a proprietary driver installed, just using the ones that came with the Kubuntu.

Where can I find the startup log files so I can see what was loaded, failed to load etc? Maybe I can track down the cause from there.

Cheers

Comment

I'm getting the same thing with an Intel X3100 integrated graphics card. After Kubuntu progress bar, the screen is black. There is hard drive activity. Ctrl Alt Backspace etc. that are mentioned don't do anything. I have to either shut down or reboot and then the login screen appears. Seems to happen every 2 - 5 cold boots / restarts.
        KeyboardShortcuts.org | CouponCodeSwap.com

Comment

Just to add a bit of information to this, it seems to only happen after I have left the laptop sitting idle for sometime and then restart / shutdown.

Come to think of it, this may be a bug with the screen saver kicking in. Would make sense because the default screen saver is set to blank screen. I'm going to shut the sucker off and run some more tests.
          Last edited by undoIT; Jan 25, 2013, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Usually, when a black screen is displayed, there has been a problem with the video driver. If you go to /var/log, you will see the Xorg.0.* log files. A fresh one is written with each boot, but you can also look at one log older. So if you have a video problem on one boot, but the next boot is O.K., you can look at Xorg.0.log.old to see the previous video logging from the "bad" boot. Be forewarned, it is a big file, but everything is logged sequentially so whatever problem occurred should be visible near the end of the log file.
            The next brick house on the left
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Well, I left the computer idle for over 15 minutes with screen saver off. The screen turned itself off for powersaving but of course no screen saver. On restart, login popped up fine. Not conclusive, but there may be a problem with the screensaver. I also saved the Xorg.0.log.old file from failed boot to examine if the problem crops up again.

Off to have dinner with a friend I got up and running with Ubuntu. Hopefully the black screen doesn't rear it's blank head while I'm trying to show him how cool looking Kubuntu is :P

Comment

Yep, those "every once in awhile" problems can be tough to crack.
                The next brick house on the left
                Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

This one is pretty frequent and turning off screen saver did not fix it. I think I'm going to hold off on Kubuntu until KDE 4 is more stable. There are a lot of bugs.

Comment

On second thought, I think I'm going to stick it out with Kubuntu. I booted up the laptop again and everything looks so slick. The dark theme integration with QT is excellent. Aesthetics are important and seeing the splash screen during boot plus all of the polish on the windows, menus etc., it just feels really good running Kubuntu (even though I'm finding a lot of bugs).

There are also some features and configuration options not available in Gnome that I really like. Gnome can be kind of flat and boring aesthetically even after spending lots of time on gnome-look.org. Really, this is what I want to show off to friends who are curious about Linux and as long as I can get some work done when I head out with this laptop, Kubuntu will be just fine.

I'll install the final version of Kubuntu on my secondary laptop and run Ubuntu on my primary machine, best of both worlds. Hopefully, most of the quirks are fixable and I don't mind helping with the bug reports. Besides, I've been wanting to get more familiar with KDE for a while now
                    Last edited by undoIT; Jan 25, 2013, 01:30 PM.

Comment

This is not an issue any more on my laptop. Several other bugs are also fixed after installing the final release.

Comment

Working...
                      X