This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intrepid Ibex 8:10 Beta Problems

Hello, I am not new to Linux, this is my first post to K Forums, though, I have used Launchpad in the past to report developer problems but got directed to this site this time so here goes

OK 2 separate PC's ..neither will install.
    Disk ISO integrity verified
    PC 1 ASUS P4R800V PC 3200 3.2 ghz P4 2 gigs ram and is a cold swap hard drive unit I run Knoppix, SuSe Linux 11.0 and keep a spare drive for Kubuntu or Ubuntu ...my card is ATI radeon 9000 series, and built into the MOBO...my screen is CRT on this box and a 17 inch Phillips

I got a very slow install to hard disk , the page opened to 1600 dpi and I tried to set screen rez to the 1280 x and the hz to 85 for a CRT , it did not ask for my password either and the whole install froze and sound ( AC 97 ) which was working stopped. and K menu looked like Charles Manson on Crack ..all wavy lines and hallucinogenic strobescent pattern

I scrubbed disk, ..de magnetized the disk with ( Spinrite) and reinstalled and got the same problems PLUS now K Menu wont work ..I force restarted scrubbed disk reformatted and stopped ..end of story with PC 1

PC 2 680 lti Systemax 4 gigs ram DDR 2 PC 5300 , Graphics card NVidea 7700 series and realtec sound screen 20 inch LCD wide screen ..ran as Live CD only in a Windows XP Pro system. Live CD user install the slowest ever ...and same probs with the screen rez probs BUT all worked otherwise and the hz for screen right at 60 , sound works BUT it was the slowest ever Live CD user session I have ever had

I have used SuSe since the 7 series , Ubuntu since the 5.10 series , and made numerous time and effort contributions and posts in launchpad, but now I am sent here. So I guess something has changed ??

Education..well, I was at MIT when Stallman was there, I was upstairs in Dept of Electrical Engineering..So I have been a fortran freak since the days of yore and yesteryear , retired now and beta test about 20 programs a year

Loved the look of the KDE 4.1 ..I ran the KDE 4.0 remix last year and had no probs until one update then it said my screen was out of frequency rate and went into kernel panic

Hope these bugs are fixed before K and U 8.10 launch in 2 weeks

Re: Intrepid Ibex 8:10 Beta Problems

Interesting. I have never heard of a video problem being fixed by demagnetizing the hard drive ... but hey, funny things happen sometimes.

Have you booted a Kubuntu Live CD on those PCs (not in a Windows VM, but on the real hardware)? How did it work? Did you need to use F4 > Safe Graphics mode, or did it boot to a usable GUI? Did sound work when running the Live CD? The speed of the Live CD session is mostly determined by the optical drive's speed, unless you can figure out how to load it to RAM (I have not).

Slow install? Yeah, that's true -- I dunno why -- probably trying to auto-detect every piece of hardware ever made. Sidux installs in 5 minutes flat, if you're all about installation speed.

Comment

Re: Intrepid Ibex 8:10 Beta Problems

I have used many of the Ubu Kubu Xubu and Edu ( before it became add on software to Ubuntu as an after install disk ) and never had a prob with load or Live CD speed. This current 8:10 beta is the slowest Canonical Software My PC's have ever loaded.
      I have loaded Knoppix 5.1 to RAMBOost ..but had major DMA probs and it was slow as well. I have about 6 hard drives (ATA) I use for my test purposes and posts ..And they are all clean and no bad sectors or wobble, or load grind to the spin. I occassionally do a Spinrite ..to deflux the head and get a faster load up, but only on small 10GB hard drives for test purposes as its a lengthy process. I Spinrite my own 120 GB hard drove last year , took 26 hours . So, This that i first wrote was as a test, and the program loaded, but the VGA card went crazy, but I re-stested back to last years version 7.10 and the install was flawless and fast

Maybe my old hand built tower, just cant run the newer programs, as the test ( in LIVE CD MODE ONLY ) on PC 2 with modern SATA and raid array , and 4GB was still slow but everything worked...It might just be..that as the kernel evolves, it becomes less stable on older boxes, and more designed for current MOBO's and higher mhz ram

Thanks for the reply

Comment

Working...
      X