This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(SOLVED) anyone help with xorg?

I just installed Kubuntu 8.10 beta and can't figure out how to get my resolution past 1024x768. I know, this is a beta, but I had similar problems with Hardy (Ubuntu, not Kubuntu oddly enough). With Hardy, I finally had to use Envy to install the new nvidia driver, then use the "screens & graphics" app to correct the resolution. Unfortunately, from searching around the last couple days, this app appears to be obsolete and doesn't work anymore? And apparently editing xorg might work for some people, but it can be completely ignored too? I don't understand what is so hard about simply letting me pick what resolution I want. My issue might be with the essid being sent incorrectly from my monitor, or through my kvm, but seriously, previous versions have had zero problems and if I remember right picked the right resolution straight off. So I'm stuck, and dumbfounded that this is an issue considering how long the 'Buntus have come. Any ideas?

Re: anyone help with xorg?

Have looked at envyNG? According to Alberto's home page, envyNG is the newest. Look for it in the repos.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jabeez

With Hardy, I finally had to use Envy to install the new nvidia driver, then use the "screens & graphics" app to correct the resolution.
      Big boo-boo there.

Use EnvyNG to install your Nvidia proprietary driver. Get it with

Code:
      sudo apt-get install envyng-core
      Then, when it is installed, in the console enter
      Code:
      sudo envyng -t
      and follow the menu to choose #1 "Install Nvidia driver".

Once it is installed, DO NOT EVER open "System Settings > Monitor & Display" !!! Use KMenu > System > Nvidia Settings to change the screen resolution. If you need to change the default screen resolution, then Alt-F2 "kdesu nvidia-settings" and change it to the way you want it, and then click the "Save to X configuration file" button, and "OK" to save it, and exit.

Comment

well, thanx for the replies, but unfortunately no dice. I used envyNG to install the driver, even though it appears to be the same driver I installed via drivers manager and manually from nvidia, tried nvidia-settings again, and still 1024x768 is the highest resolution I can pick I messed around a bit, and on the xscreen advanced tab, I can get a mode that is "nvidia-autoselect @ 1280x1024 (correct), but I still can't pick it from the resolutions. Grrrrrr..........

Comment

After you install the driver with EnvyNG, and before you run nvidia-settings, did you run

Code:
          sudo nvidia-xconfig
          ?

Although there is at least one report that this doesn't work for some of the older cards ....

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=945557

Comment

whooo hooo!! got it, had to just delete my xorg.conf, run nvidia-xconfig, then all resolutions were available! holy hoops though batman. so does envy do something different than installing the driver the other ways? pretty confusing, not sure why it's not set up to just do this automatically...oh well, thanks again for your help, must sleep now but tomorrow I can finally play!

Comment

Working...
            X