This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Solved) Resolution problems

I'm having a few problems when booting, i get to the log-in screen and its resolution is probably about 900xsomething, much smaller than the screen.

If i boot into KDE, it stays the same, and as soon as i select "Monitor and Display" (?), it immediately hops up to 1280x1024 (what it should be), and everything locks up.

Oddly, if i boot into the Gnome desktop first, it immediately finds the correct resolution (1280x1024), and i can then log-out and into the KDE environment with no problems.

On a re-boot, it goes back to the original, though.

The card is an ATI Radeon 9800Pro.

If i select "Hardware Drivers" on the Menu (either in KDE or Gnome), it says that there is a driver to activate, but if i click on "Apply", nothing happens. It says it's down-loading something, but the router light does'nt flicker.

I've installed Envy, but the problem persists, and glxgears work.

Can anyone help? It's not a Major Problem, just a bit of a bugger.

Re: Resolution problems

I just spent about an hour on an issue with my ati 300x card. After the round of updates I now see and ATI control center icon in my k menu. I found that is now controlling my ati card and when I went through the settings I found one image scalling scale to fit display was needed for me.

I Hope that may help in some way.

Noel Vh
    ++Noel Vh++<br />Desktop support Lv II, III<br />Large Pharma company<br />New Jersey USA

Comment

Re: Resolution problems

Thank You for that, noelvh, thank you Very Much Indeed.

It never even occurred to me that the driver wouldn't be installed ( i can be remarkably fik ), so i got Synaptic to install the fglrx driver, and the computer and myself are now dancing to "Going home", by Ten Years After.... the live version at that.!

I'll put Solved on this one.

Regards,
      malcolm

Comment

Re: (Solved) Resolution problems

This is one of the reasons I love the linux community so much.
        I am glad to help, and even happier you are running once more.

Noel Vh
        ++Noel Vh++<br />Desktop support Lv II, III<br />Large Pharma company<br />New Jersey USA

Comment

Thank You.

I have discovered one (slight) problem, when re-starting the system, i'm left with a scrambled screen, and all HD activity stops.

<Ctrl> + <Alt> + <Del> does the trick.

Comment

I am not sure what is going on now with your system but I would post it under a new thread, and see what others think of this.

Noel Vh

Comment

Working...
            X