Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

freaking 8.10 upgrade removed my adept manager!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

freaking 8.10 upgrade removed my adept manager!

What the hell?!!

I ve started the upgrade process. It started downloading. It said 6 hours left. I went to bed. In the morning i opened my monitor and saw that it stuck in the middle of installation. I couldnt able to close the upgrade screen neither stop or cancel it. I ve decided to restart the system. Restarted. Decided to give it a one more change and wanted to start the upgrade process again. and guess what.... My adept manager gone! seriously WTF?!

what you guys suggst me to do? Is ther a possibility to other applications have been crashed tho? Help me out!
    Open source is like a good sex; because its better when you do it free!

Re: freaking 8.10 upgrade removed my adept manager!

Want to get back to my old version tho.. how can i do it?

Comment

I read somewhere yesterday that the screensaver must be turned off before attempting to upgrade, but i can't find it now.

I'm afraid that my response to major problems with the system is to stuff the install CD into the drive and have a fresh start.... and to format / but not /home, this way most settings are retained.
      It only takes around half an hour or so, rather than tracking down problems, only to find that another problem pops up tomorrow....

Probably someone will drop in with some sensible suggestions for you, but i'm afraid that i can offer none.

Good Luck.

Comment

Have you read all the upgrade caveats? If adept is gone try aptitude or apt. Both work on console and they are not KDE dependent. As for adept there is a KDE4 beta version, but I think you would need to install it again manually (as well as some other yummy apps like kdebluetooth or amarok).

Comment

Run a terminal and type sudo apt-get install adept and you will be prompted for your password and can then download and install it.

You will, however, find it rather different in layout to the old adept (possibly a bit Fisher Price?) and I find it odd. I am tending to use synaptic instead (the beauty of Linux is choice!) which I personally find more intuitive. Get that with sudo apt-get install synaptic. You can have both as they won't conflict and see which one suits.

It is quite possible, in view of what you say, that there is a considerable number of packages on your system that have downloaded and haven't installed. As a result you might not have achieved a working desktop. You could also try in a terminal sudo dpkg --configure -a which may well finish off that install for you.

Also my recommendation to you is that you have more than 1 desktop installed, esp while II is in Beta as the KDE4 experience is not without its interesting points. Upon my upgrade I couldn't log into KDE4. I'm using gnome as well, it's rock solid and has enabled me to fix a number of things and has enabled me to keep working whilst I fixed it. Without it, all I would have had was the command line. sudo apt-get install gnome. Be prepared for a big download though.

Comment

Thanx all tho... i'll probably start with a fresh kubuntu install by not removing the home directory...

thanx for advice... that screensaver sht messed things up i guess... thanx anywayz... appreciated.

Comment

It might just be the same problem I had, libpam0g want's to restart samba and some other services but that dialog doesn't show. So it just sits there doing nothing and there's no message in the terminal. But if you kill the dpkg process the updater will show a error and before you continue you should manually install libpam0g

It's soooooo obvious! I guess noone tried updating while having sambaserver installed before...

Comment

I must admit...I tend not to use adept that much except to search for packages...tend just to run an install out of konsole like suggested above..it does not look so good I agree but it works
                Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Comment

I ve first installed the adept manager and I ve just tried The Liquidator's advice and did sudo dpkg --configure -a to finish off install. Now Intrepid Ibex works fine

Comment

Working...
                  X