Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

besides slow boot, it halts at startup...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

besides slow boot, it halts at startup...

you heard me, when kde is booting i see a small screen with what looks like a HD and it stops, then i have to click somewhere for it to continue its rather slow boot.
    normally we would see an HD, and other things being light up, like in kde3 then when everything is loaded it boots into the system...

is this broken?

-btw, i have a pretty fast laptop, the beta is the only slow booting system i got so far.

cheers

Re: besides slow boot, it halts at startup...

I noticed it was slow the first time after a new installation -- but only that one time.

The other reason it can be slow is when it does a fsck in the background. But it shouldn't do that every boot.

Comment

can u comment on the startup halt also?

Comment

My guess is that it something to do with "usplash".

If you want to see more of what is going on (or not going on), when it puts up your boot menu with Kubuntu highlighted, press "e" and then highlight the line that shows the kernel and press "e" again, and at the end of that line delete the "quiet" and the "splash" options, then press Return and then "b" to boot it. This will make no permanent changes, but it will let you observe the system boot messages. Note the one(s) where it hesitates or stops.

Of course, with "splash" removed, it may not hesitate at all.

Comment

I've noticed this much longer pause to actually get to the desktop - fifteen or twenty seconds or more after i've heard the "bing" i use for desktop 2 before i actually get there.

After some upgrading (~49Mb) earlier, this evening's delay was noticeably less, two or three seconds at the most after the "bing".
          ... and the keyboard works again.

And another upgrade tonight.... my ISP must be rubbing his hands at the thought of my next month's bill.

Comment

I apologise for the double post, but....

Despite what i just posted, the keyboard froze.

So i'm now on the Gnome desktop..... which -- i hate to say -- doesn't have these problems.

Comment

yeah... somehow on the last boot the splash worked fine, i saw the full animation and it didn't freeze...

i still have all the other problems that youll see me posting about around teh forums but... man this beta is way weirder then any other ive tested .

ps: why does canonical always brake kubuntu a lot more then every other version?

Comment

ps: why does canonical always brake kubuntu a lot more then every other version?
                Probably because they are rushing things in order to keep on target for the release date.

Unfortunately, rushing things to meet release dates leads to the release of unfinished products, but that is where we come in handy.

My own opinion is that it would be better to take a bit more time and consequently release a more stable 'product', but - unfortunately - the market-place attitude rules, and the early users find the bugs.

I think that maybe Debian has a better system; release fewer - but more stable - versions.

This isn't a criticism of Kubuntu and their strategy, just a criticism of the market-place attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by kforum

Because they know we are tough, and accustomed to abuse, and we can take it!

Comment

if you guys know anything about multimedia keys or the current wifi issues, please answer my lost and forgotten posts in the hardware and network forums respectively.

thanks for the kind replies so far. ^^

cheers.

Comment

Working...
                    X