This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow on my Acer 3618. II rocks!!

Hopefully the subject line says it all. I've tried the 64 bit version on my Desktop, but never bothered with my laptop. Downloaded the x86 Desktop and booted. It just works. I have yet to find anything that didn't work. Believe it or not, KNetworkManager worked! I changed it to my work's wireless system with WPA2 and it worked! Connected with no issues. I've yet to test many of the secondary laptop buttons, but the Sound Volume, Sound Mute and Brightness buttons worked. This laptop has been waiting a long time for a major overhaul. II will be it!!

Re: Wow on my Acer 3618. II rocks!!

Good for you. I have 8.04 with kDE4.1 and it works OK on my old Acer Aspire. Short cut buttons were not working but after installing keytouch all fine now. I think 8.10 with KDE4 will be a very polished and capable OS.

Comment

My work computer is an Acer Extensa. I'll try the Live CD on it and see how it does. So far, most Acer systems have worked really well for me. As far as my Acer Aspire, I've enjoyed it from day 1. I have noticed with II that the Login Music when you first login from boot still gets cut of as it does in HH KDE4 remix KDE4.1. Wonder what that could be?

Comment

Using Alpha 5 II Live CD. Man! They're getting it done! Very nice.

Comment

Whatever was going terribly wrong with FireFox 3 in the past couple of weeks seems to have straightened out, mostly. I reinstalled it and all the plugins last night, and between doing that and all the recent package updates, it's running more or less correctly. I even got the videos on cnn.com playing -- that's usually a problem site. Youtube has sound and video. BBC videos play now, as well as foxnews.com and abcnews.com. The only one of my test sites that's not playing nice is:

http://www.elsevier.nl/

That one is sometimes a problem, so I'm not shocked.

I have switched back and forth between using Kwin and Compiz -- I prefer Compiz. But Compiz still disables Alt-F2 -- that's obvously some kind of bug, although I haven't reported it because I'm not sure the KDE or Kubuntu devs would think they're responsible to make Compiz work.

And there's no patch for VMware on the new .27 kernel yet, so that's an issue for awhile longer, I suppose.

But except for those nits, I'm finding 8.10 pretty usable and stable -- I haven't had anything surprising happen for weeks now. I think it's going to be a very stable release, come October.

Comment

Didn't know you spoke dutch

Doesn't work for me either. Nor nfl.com. >

Upgraded my:
            http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/User:Apac..._Neon/KDE/Info
            today.

works great on hardy, a bit iffy with II.

Kwin has a sphere, tube and af course cube. Better yet, very fast on my poor old ati 9250 pro card with generic (default) driver.

I guess I won't have to buy a new3 card after all.

Oh, almost forgot auto hide panel

HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Kwin has a sphere, tube and af course cube.
              Really? How do you get that? It doesn't seem to be on the Live CD. Is it "Extra" packages that have to be installed?

Comment

It is on the nightly version (preview for kde4.2)
                http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/User:Apac..._Neon/KDE/Info

Installs nicely next to HH remix

Edit:
                The sphere and tube are in the kwin advanced settings but I haven't gotten them to work yet.

The cube looks cool on this old video card though.
                HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan

Didn't know you spoke dutch
                  I don't.

But it's a tough site -- a good test of browser media players. It plays in Iceweasel 3.0.1 on my sidux system (same hardware) using the mplayer plugin.

Comment

Well, I took the plunge with my laptop and wiped it clean for II Alpha5 .

This is so nice. The new Adept is nice. Hope they get the Sources portion working by release. KNetworkManager has a nice overhaul, but still bugged with wireless. Read others having same issues. Hope they get that ironed out as well. All in all very well done. The best this machine has looked and performed! Have minor issue with Thunderbird and the task pane but I don't think it is related to II being Alpha.

Comment

Working...
                    X