X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intrepid alpha3 - run from CD

Hi

First time on this board, so hi everyone.

I've been using Kubuntu since 7.10 and like it very much.
    Wanted to try Intrepid alpha without install - run from CD.

When I boot from CD, I see the initial menu, however when I choose run from CD, PC gets unresponsive for a couple of minutes, then screen goes blank.
    No way to recover except for a hard boot.

Anyone else experience this behavior?
    (I know it's alpha, and bugs are expected.)

Thanks

Re: Intrepid alpha3 - run from CD

Sounds like a bad CD burn, to me. Burn another one, but set your burn speed down to 4X (and go find something else to do for 20 minutes).

BTW, "Check CD for Defects" is less than 100% reliable, so don't trust the results of that.

Comment

Thanks
      I'll try and burn another one tonight.

Comment

I'm burning one too -- I'm going to install it tonight.

Use "DAO" mode, and 4X speed, and you should get a good CD.

Comment

Well, hey-hey, woot-woot, here I am posting from Intrepid RC1 and Firefox 3!

The good news -- Alt-F2 works, the KDE4 menu looks waayyyyyyyyy better than that mess I had on Hardy Heron, parts of System Settings even work -- I added a German keyboard layout, no problem.

The other news -- Adept Manager is broken. Upon finishing the installation and booting into Intrepid, Adept Notifier popped up the upgrade notification, but Adept wouldn't open. I used
          Code:
          sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
          and it worked wonderfully, and I noticed a replacement dpkg was installed, among many other items. But Adept Manager remains non-functional. So, I'm re-acquainting myself with Synaptic, as I cannot remember package names well enough to survive with only apt-get.

But, it's looking good so far. Now I need to figure out how to either hotwire EnvyNG or brute-force install the Nvidia proprietary driver.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
            But, it's looking good so far. Now I need to figure out how to either hotwire EnvyNG or brute-force install the Nvidia proprietary driver.
            No need for Envy. Just install nvidia-glx-177.
            Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

I haven't been brave enough to try it yet.

How's it working for you a few days in dibl?

Kev

Comment

Originally posted by Bongo5HH

How's it working for you a few days in dibl?
                It's errrrr ... rough, I'm afraid.

The worst is, I cannot get an Nvidia driver installation to work correctly, and the worst of the worst is, once the Nvidia driver installation borks KDM, I can't fix it by going back to the original generic xorg.conf file -- whatever is screwed up in KDM remains screwed up even after remove --purging the Nvidia stuff. So, after 3 re-installations, last night I just left the generic video, made myself 4 KDE desktops, and called it a day. It actually doesn't look bad on my big SyncMaster 1100.

The good news is, Alt-F2 works, and Dolphin and Konqueror work correctly, as far as I've had a chance to play with them. VMWare Player is now working correctly, using the vmware-any-any-update-117c patch. Firefox 3 never looked better here.

Some remaining broken/buggy items:

-- Kate won't run in super-user mode, at least not with Alt-F2 "kdesu kate"
                -- Adept Manager and Adept Installer won't run, but you can install synaptic to work with packages

That's about all I've had a chance to learn, between my day job and re-installing exercises -- I hope to spend a little more time experimenting with KDE 4.1, while keeping an eye on Nvidia developments and KDE developments, to see if whatever is not functioning correctly gets fixed.

Comment

Had a chance to try it a bit over the weekend.

The good:
                  1) New plasma desktop looks very good.
                  2) Dolphin seems to a lot better than it is in hardy.

The bad:
                  1) Run from CD & install , don't work with new NV cards (NN GeForce 9XXX), had to install it on an old PC with an old ATI. This seems to be a driver problem.
                  2) Package management seems to be a bit shaky. Adept doesn't work at all. Running apt from shell solves the problem, but some of the packages I tried from multiverse & restricted fail to install.

I like it very much, but I need a stable system, so I guess I'll wait for October.

Dror

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzcube
                    ... but I need a stable system, so I guess I'll wait for October.
                    If you really need/require a stable system, then I'd suggest sticking with Hardy Heron 8.04 running KDE 3.5.9. This combination is rock solid!
                    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzcube

but I need a stable system, so I guess I'll wait for October.
                      Probably a good idea. I have to take back what I said about Kate in Super User mode -- Alt-F2 "kdesudo kate /whatever_file" works just fine.

I'm using Synaptic, only to view the package list. I use apt-get to install/remove. So, life can proceed without Adept. Got my gkrellm monitor working great, Amarok found my 2678 audio tracks, and VMware Player runs just fine with the patch. Dolphin actually turns out to be a decent file manager, now that it's version 4. All in all, it's not bad for an Alpha-level of software maturity.

But, as you say, you never know what the next round of updates will do, so it wouldn't be wise to bet your income on it ....

Comment

Does it ship with the KDE4 Adept? If not...

http://web.mornfall.net/blog/adept_3.0_alpha_5.html

Comment

About Adept 3.

I tried the adept 3.0 alpha3 with the Intrepid and it was different but it was alpha quality .
                          Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                          1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                          2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

OK, lot of updates today -- they apparently fixed xserver-xorg-core, which is now version 1.4.99.906, and now I'm able to install and configure Nvidia driver 173.14.12 (downloaded from Nvidia). You have to comment out the line that begins "RgbPath" in "Files" stanza of xorg.conf. Here's what I've got, so far:

[img width=400 height=300]http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/6553/intrepidkde4compizux9.png[/img]

VMware Player 2.0.4 is working well. A new Amarok, ver. 1.4.9.1 came with today's updates, and somehow it couldn't see my previous playlist ... sigh, there goes another hour. But, this KDE 4.1 thing is coming along, huh?

Comment

The cylindrical (compiz?) is really cool!
                              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                              X