This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kubuntu fails to go past logon

I have to use II alpha: HH won't run X at all. I tried many times with many solutions on several distros and opensuse and II were the only one's I could get up an running. I'm new to Linux and so don't really know what to do about my near-empty xorg.conf file, which seems to be a big part of my problem.

II is pretty nice so far but damn I'm looking forward to the full release and hopefully a bit more stable system!

(and, ya, I've got the Adept 3 beta 'working')

Comment

I had the same problem on two machines which for a couple of days after installation went into KDE4 just fine. Cary's three-line routine worked fine on both of them, after, of course, creating the .kdebac directory. Thanks, Cary!

Comment

Cary,
        I noticed your hardware:
        "The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859"
        Lenovo T61 Kubuntu Intrepid 64bit Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 / 2 GHz, 2 GB DDR II SDRAM - 667 MHz,
        NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M PCI Express, Wireless 3945ABG"

Notice that you have a nVidia GPU. I had the same problem except that it was permanent until I replaced the GPU - it apparently melted. After that -- I read the release notes and found that KDE 4 can cause nVidia GPU to overheat. I had upgraded to 8.10 from 8.04 through the upgrade option during the apt update -- bad choice.
        My computer is OK on 8.04 using KDE 3.5.1.

You asked about a dictionary: select Add/Remove Applications from the menu and install a dictionary. Then add it to the panel.

Jon Piper

Comment

Working...
        X