This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu fails to go past logon

In the last 3 days my KDE4 is totaly broken, I will dot point my problems.
    1. I get error message "could not start kstartupkde4" (is something like that but am back to Vista as I cant get past this) If I hit the ok button I get asci characters in multi colour & the pc is totaly locked up.
    2. When booting up I have a 2 min wait to bring up networking, at this point there is no HDD activity & no keyboard response.
    3 The only way to get KDM to activate is to boot to recovery mode & after 5 mins of being frozen (this is after the network freeze) I hit ctl + alt + del & I get the dialog box & I select resume boot & eventually I get the KDM logon.

I thought I would rebuild my pc so I did that as I had a lot of *.kde4 files & this would fix 2 problems. I fixed the .kde4 probs but after I did the updates I'm back to where I was before the rebuild

Am I the only one with these problems? What do I file this under in a bug report?

Any feedback would be appreciated, Cary

BTW I miss spellcheck in Linux
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Re: Kubuntu fails to go past logon

Before doing anything, read this.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Such are the joys of running 8.10 at such an early stage. All you can do is wait, I suppose...
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Snowhog do you feel better after writing this? "Before doing anything, read this."
        I am a network admin with 25+ Linux servers built by me & under my control, If you can't share problems on forums like this why have them? do you just want fluffy success stories? My post is to create dialog about my problem & to see if it is widespread, if others have similar issues it helps them to know they didn't stuff up & to rebuild but wait for fixes & to add/create bug reports.

Cary
        The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Comment

Well, to answer your last question first.
          Yes, I have had that issue with II alpha, and I suppose a few others as well.
          Thank you for pointing that out.

I can't answer for snowhog but I doubt anyone wants "fluffy success stories"

He was actually trying to be helpful and I would have given the same link if snowhog wasn't faster (as usual)

In a forum like this there is no way to know who is "hidding" behind a "name" so please be kind.
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thanks Fintan. I feel bad when ever anyone mistakes what I post as having been negative. Wasn't my intent here. Just wanted to provide a quick link to what had been posted for everyones benefit concerning II's 'alpha' status and the expected problems it's going to give users.

Comment

Sorry for the snappy response but the usuall disclaimer gets trotted out as a matter of couse sometimes too much in my opinion! If I posted something like I'm running back to windows etc I would understand but I want to see this problem resolved & am happy to be part of the solution. What I wanted to cercumvent in my post is folks rushing to reload there o/s to only be back to where they were.

Again I'm sorry for my terse response.

Cary

Comment

Could not start kstartupconfig4. Check your installation

1. I get error message "could not start kstartupkde4" (is something like that but am back to Vista as I cant get past this) If I hit the ok button I get asci characters in multi colour & the pc is totaly locked up.
                There is a bug report > Bug #245631 in kdebase-workspace (Ubuntu) / [intrepid KDE4] "Could not start kstartupconfig4. Check your installation"

Snips and snaps:

Harald Sitter wrote:
                We don't use .kde4 anymore ... moved to .kde.
                Maybe it is this (kgoeser wrote):
                After an upgrade of a completely fresh intrepid install I ran into the same problem. Moving .kde / .kde4 directories didn't help.
                Strace shows that kdostartupconfig tries to open a file from the .kde/ directory - the file however is created automatically in the .kde4 directory...

Linking .kde4 to .kde "fixes" the problem.

It is good to wave warnig flag :

Intrepid is an alpha and KDE is a beta => Something is going to break
                Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

@ carib

Just to relieve my mind - that network is not running on 8.10 now, is it ?

And let me add to the apologies for not posting something useful
                  Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I'm back in Kubuntu 8) thanks to Rog131

For the less experienced I booted to recovery console & executed the following:-

mv /home/myusername/.kde /home/myusename/.kdebac

ln -s /home/myusername/.kde4 /home/myusername/.kde

then ctl +d & selected resume & bingo all is good

Cary

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131
                      Intrepid is an alpha and KDE is a beta => Something is going to break
                      Intrepid = Alpha release
                      KDE = Beta release
                      Intrepid + KDE = AB
                      AB = Already Broken

Comment

I've had Intrepid Alpha 5 up and running for a few days and last night I updated and my computer went crazy. First it said my battery was removed then some programs (Ktorrent, Amarok, Konqueror, Adept) all started crashing whenever I'd try opening or using them. After rebooting my computer hit the login screen and afterwards went to a black screen with window outlines in a few places. I got the welcome sound but can't do anything except go to the terminal. Running startx gives me a "no screens found" warning. I've reinstalled and updating caused the same problems again so now I'm just sitting on the Live CD.

Just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems with the updates.

Comment

I had my Pc bork with the 2.27-3 kernel & my Nvidia driver, I had to reinstall the kernel to pick up the Nvidia kernel patch (assuming you have a Nvidia card? I would boot to recovery mode 1st & select fix X to see if it repairs your broken X. As for adept you must be using beta 3 of Adept as mine hasn't work since week 2 of Intrepid.

Cary

Comment

I'm sure that II will be good someday, but not today. I've tried Alpha 5 a couple of times and couldn't get beyond the initial screen. That's O.K. it's Alpha and HH works very nicely.
                            The next brick house on the left
                            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

I tried Alpha 5 and couldn't either. It starts to load KDE and then the screen goes black? That's what I think is going on because you see the 'Kubuntu' screen and the blue bar moving as usual and then the screen goes black for a while. Then the screen is dark blue with black jagged lines and it's shaking.

Whatever. I just know that the Ubuntu/Gnome version worked fine. It booted up into the Gnome desktop. Hmmmmm.... :-/

Comment

Working...
                              X