X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange kde 4.2 performance issue.

Hi all,

I have noticed something strange with Kubuntu 8.10 running KDE 4.2

Say I click on the firefox icon to open the program. While the window is opening the initial window appears and for a split second the area within the window is full of what appears to be 'chopped up graphics'

The best way to describe it is almost like a bad tv picture with interference.

It's not a world ending problem but annoying. I have a Dual Core Intel e2180 machine with 2gb ram and an nvidia 8500 graphics card with 512mb ram so I don't think the machine is an issue.

Any ideas?

cheers

osd

Re: Strange kde 4.2 performance issue.

what version of the nvidia driver are you running? I believe this was an issue prior to the 180.xx series of drivers.
    mm0

P.S. Plus the updated drivers have much improved speed!!! It is well worth upgrading if you aren't on them already.
    Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Originally posted by muzicman0
      what version of the nvidia driver are you running? I believe this was an issue prior to the 180.xx series of drivers.
      mm0

P.S. Plus the updated drivers have much improved speed!!! It is well worth upgrading if you aren't on them already.

I'm using 177.82 installed via the automatic driver hardware thingy that pops up after installing.

Comment

yeah, I would download 180.29 (I think that is the latest stable version) and install that manually. There are plenty of posts on this forum as to how to install...

mm0
        Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Originally posted by muzicman0
          yeah, I would download 180.29 (I think that is the latest stable version) and install that manually. There are plenty of posts on this forum as to how to install...

mm0
          Just updated to 180.11 via apt and it's done the job, thanks very much.

osd

Comment

Working...
          X