This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to upgrade kernel for new memory

hi, i am running 8.10 and I have just put in 4Gb of memory . I was on 1 Gb. I have fiidle bout and bios recognises all 4 Gb but the kernel only goes to 2.7.

Could some kind person tell me how to do a kernel change to accept the new memory.

I don't really want to go the erver kernel way if possible.

Cheers,

mike.

Re: how to upgrade kernel for new memory

I would think that going with the 64-bit kernel is the best choice. The 2.7 Gb that you see is what's left after memory maping of graphics, i/o-devices etc in a 32.bit kernel.

J
    Kubuntu

Comment

I have 4 gb of ram on my laptop but I have stuck with 32 nit kubuntu because there could be other problems with running a 64 bit os.

namely Flash plug ins and media codecs
      some of these only work on 32 bit os

Comment

Originally posted by diddy1234
        I have 4 gb of ram on my laptop but I have stuck with 32 nit kubuntu because there could be other problems with running a 64 bit os.

namely Flash plug ins and media codecs
        some of these only work on 32 bit os
        You can use 64-bit Flash now. Flash 10, 64-bit. It worked fine for me and a lot of users claim it works well for them.

It's not at the official adobe site but the adobe 'labs' site. Have you tried it?

What other codecs are only 32-bit? There is 64-bit Windows codecs now. You can install them if you enable the related repository.

Comment

kbunt, I didnt know that.
          shows how long ago i checked. opps

looks like I will be going 64 bit in the future then

BTW, just a thought but the 64 bit version of Win XP is miles behind Linux 64 bit then if you say is true.

Comment

fascinating, but any chance of an answer?

How do I change to a 64 bit version of the OS and what are the consequences.

Comment

Going for the 64 bit version is avialable at the regular download http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/download , choose "64bit AMD and Intel computers". This is like installing from scratch so if you havn't your /home on a partition of its own you need to backup anything you might want to keep.

The problems with the 64-bit kerlen are less than they used to be. I'm not running it myself but when I tried a couple of years ago there were problems with third party software not being ported to 64-bit. This could be graphics drivers, flash plugins, video codecs etc. From what I've heard things are much better now days but see what others say.

The 64-bit kernel will make use of all the RAM you can possibly give it. But if you're not doing any video rendering or scientific computing you will not be able to tell the difference. Check your memory consumption now and see how much memory you're using. My bet is that you have a lot of free memory (start some applicatiosn and see what happends) so why go through the trouble of upgrading.
              Kubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by mudlark

How do I change to a 64 bit version of the OS and what are the consequences.
                You don't "change", you "install" -- you can't migrate from 32-bit architecture to 64-bit architecture.

There are very few true 64-bit "issues" today. Java works, flash works, you may find a challenge running the proprietary music formats at rhapsody.com or something like that. All the packages in the standard *buntu repos are available in 64-bit, AFAIK. As kbunt says, there's the "w64codecs" package from Medibuntu for multimedia.

Comment

thanks folks i will stick with 32 bit and 2.7Gb!

Perhaps the next upgrade of the kernel will allow high memory use. (This reminds me of the old HDD problems of windows 98!)

Comment

I just splashed out €300 on a new motherboard, processor, 4GB of 1333 DDR3 RAM and stuff. Obviously 64 bit.

I don't know what to say, booting is so strikingly fast but the absolute hammer is that I click on OpenOffice Writer and the thing is up in the wink of an eye - I am absolutely flabberghasted!

If I were you, I'd definitely free up a partition and try a 64 bit install - I am watching my system and it is using round about 3.2 GB RAM (on ArchLinux - what about Kubuntu, dibl?).
                    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

One of my memory sticks failed due to address problems. I've sent it back and now crippled on 512Mb 677. I need to have some patience...............

Comment

Working...
                      X