This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

initial boot hang until power button press

I was wondering if anyone has seen this issue.

just after the grub screen loader has appeared the kernel is loaded.
    at this point the progress bar stops and waits until I :-
    either press the power button
    or
    press escape several times

The boot process continues fine afterwards.

When I try and check dmesg there is nothing.

I even booted and ALT+F2 to see the onscreen boot process and nothing.
    Just the usual boot up text.
    The text boot process does show that just after the kernel is loaded its this point that stops.
    Pressing the power button then shows the cursor and then the boot process continues as normal.

Id imagine that this problem happens before root is mounted.

This is happening on Kubutnu 8.10 but did not happen on 8.04.
    Could this be related to kernel ?

if so how do I fix it ?
    This would be nice to resolve as its irritating but not a major problem.

Rich

Re: initial boot hang until power button press

I have the same problem. It does not do it every time. I don't have any boot hangs if I turn off acpi with the command acpi=off in Grub. You might try that. Off course having it off presents other problems, so I just leave it on and live with the boot hang. As soon as it hangs, I hit the power button and start over, it almost never hangs on the second try.

Comment

Re: initial boot hang until power button press

I'm having the same problem. I'm running an HP dv9000 with 8.10, and I've been running 8.10 since maybe July. I had 8.04 installed, no problem. Now with 8.10 it won't boot successfully on its own. I haven't tried hitting the power button, but what works for me is holding down one of the arrow keys. I just reinstalled 8.10 yesterday because of an unrelated issue not being able to login, and wondered if the reinstall would help the boot issue. It didn't. I've run all updates, and installed the "Unsupported Updates" to install KDE 4.2 and still nothing. Like diddy said, it is just inconvenient, and nothing else. I have to say that I much prefer using Kubuntu to Vista, even with it's quirks.

Comment

Working...
      X