X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATI Issue - Flickering Video Playback

Hello all,
    Hopefully this isn't a duplicate of someone else's post, but I did a search on both ubuntu and kubuntu support and didn't see this exact issue.
    Info:
    Kubuntu 8.10 Fresh install, fully updated, activated ATI restricted driver
    ATI X1600 PCI-e card

When attempting playback with VLC and xine, the video flickers several times a second (unwatchable). Setting output mode to xV and OpenGL results in this problem. Setting to x11 fixes it. However, this is for a media center pc, and as even the phenom x4 9950 powering it can't keep up when fullscreened, x11 output is not an option.

Compiz is NOT installed or enabled, which is why it appears to be a different issue.

I'm fairly sure this is an ATI driver issue, does anyone have any knowledge of fixes or when this might be resolved?

Thanks

Re: ATI Issue - Flickering Video Playback

I had a similar problem with ATI x1300 on Intrepid.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -plow xserver-xorg

This gives an option to use frame buffer device or not. It was set for no, I changed it to yes, and it solved the problem for me. Hope it works for you too.

HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

Just tried it out and it worked perfectly. Thanks!

Comment

I have this similiar problem. I use ATI Radeon 2600, can that fix my problem too? Because if I don't activate the restricted driver, flickering is gone. But if I activate the restricted driver, flickering is always shows

Comment

I think that the use Frame Buffer will work for either the restricted driver or non restricted one.
          With either no video display with DVD or the flickering, I tried both restricted and non restricted to see if that was the problem. I found that useing the frame buffer fixed the problem and it doesn't seem to make a difference if it is with the restricted driver or not. Probably the only way is to try it and see if it works.
          HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

Working...
          X