X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Solved!) Creative Webcam Vista Plus

Hi everyone,
    Pretty much the last peace of hardware I have left that is not working under Kubuntu is my webcam. It is a Creative Webcam Vista Plus (the Vista is the model, it doesn't habe anything to do with Win Vista) and as I read a little about it and linux it seems that i need the gspca package and I installed it. Nevertheless, neither Skype nor Kopete can use the camera, although skype recognizes the correct model. When I try to actually use the camera, however, I only get green static from it, and skype usually crashes after that. Here's what dmesg says about gspca :

[ 19.515562] gspca: main v2.2.0 registered
    [ 19.534992] gspca: probing 041e:4028
    [ 19.554352] gspca: probe ok

So, my question is, has anyone been able to make such a camera work correctly under Kubuntu?

Thanx for your time!

Boyan

Re: Creative Webcam Vista Plus

Maybe toward the end ot this thread:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3098024.0

Comment

Thanx for the tip, however it didn't help me much... I tried the patch mentioned in the other thread, however, the situation is still the same. I think that the camera is correctly recognized, but the programs fail to use it properly:

dmesg right after I plug in the camera:

[ 501.368072] usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 6
      [ 501.612457] usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
      [ 501.623708] gspca: probing 041e:4028
      [ 501.628179] pac207: Pixart Sensor ID 0x27 Chips ID 0x00
      [ 501.628196] pac207: Pixart PAC207BCA Image Processor and Control Chip detected (vid/pid 0x041E:0x4028)
      [ 501.637498] gspca: probe ok

Comment

Your camera and chip are, ostensibly, supported by the gspca driver. It is listed in the middle of the Pixart chips here:

http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca5xx.html

There have been a lot of problems with webcam support in kernels 2.6.27 and 2.6.28. Supposedly the gspca driver module is built into kernel 2.6.28, which I run on my sidux system, but it doesn't work there for my Logitech Communicate STX. I haven't checked lately with Kubuntu to see if it is still working here. But last time I tried, it ran with the "LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so camorama" command.

So, make sure you've installed the libv4l-0 package, and camorama to test it, and run through the procedure again, just to be sure -- it seems like it should work -- your device is definitely recognized correctly on the USB bus.

Comment

Re: (Solved!) Creative Webcam Vista Plus

Hi dibl,

I already had the libv4l-0 package installed, but the "LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so" did the trick! I now added it to the skype launcher and the webcam finally works! Thanx a lot for your help!

Greets,
          Boyan

Comment

Re: (Solved!) Creative Webcam Vista Plus

8)

Greets.

Comment

Working...
            X