Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disabling on-board sound card (an update and closed - sort of!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disabling on-board sound card (an update and closed - sort of!)

Hi.

I've just acquired a Creative Audigy SE 7.1 (SB0570) oem (surround sound) to service the spectacular speaker array that my beloved has. (She didn't like my simple 2 speaker system!)

Now I know there is quite a lot of discussion around the CA0106 and as far as I can tell there are no drivers yet to get all the speakers to react to the mixer controls. That is: the 'front' ones work but the 'centre' and 'back' do not using KMIX. I'm sure this will be sorted in due course but apparently it pays to disable the onboard card (ATI) and remove its drivers.

Is this correct and if so how do I do the above? I've checked the BIOS and can find no reference to sound but I'm not sure what I should be looking for. Likewise where would the drivers be lurking?

If anyone has any work arounds or answers (including "you should have saved your money") it would be much appreciated.

AND. . . . . . Happy New Year
    Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
    GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
    Kubuntu 14.04 - 64 bit Linux - KDE 4.13.0

Re: Disabling on-board sound card

Originally posted by leadwt

(She didn't like my simple 2 speaker system!)
    Heh heh heh --- obviously a classy gal, not accustomed to your pedestrian lifestyle ...

Is this correct and if so how do I do the above? I've checked the BIOS and can find no reference to sound but I'm not sure what I should be looking for. Likewise where would the drivers be lurking?
    There may not be a BIOS setting to disable the onboard sound chip. If not, there may be another way. I just built a PC on an Asus P5Q board, and that one has a jumper to determine whether you want HDA or some other sound standard that I can't remember. But I think if it was not jumpered one way or the other, it would be disabled. So, I'm beating around the bush to advise you to get a motherboard schematic or diagram and see if there is a hardware option to disable the onboard sound chip.

Comment

Re: Disabling on-board sound card

Kool - that sounds (sorry, another pun) like a good idea re hardware option and one that I will delve into.

And yeah she did come down a few levels to take me on board.

Cheers.

Comment

Re: Disabling on-board sound card (an update!)

Hi.

Well I did not manage to find a schematic of the motherboard so (thankfully) didn't have to fiddle with jumpers. But I did find a note about the Bios which said look under 'Peripherals' and yo there was the 'audio' option. On-board now disabled and using Alsa drivers in Kmix. However still only have two out five speakers working but that is due to the driver situation mentioned previously I believe.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
        X