Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cannot access ntfs-volume. Ownership problems?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cannot access ntfs-volume. Ownership problems?

Yes, back to the terminal.

First, open the terminal and enter:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ntfsprogs
    Then enter:

Code:
    sudo ntfsfix sda3
    And post the output.

Comment

Originally posted by NexusHumanis

cecilie@Cecilie:~$ sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/sda3 media
      Suggestion:

Have you tried to make a separate mount point within /media?
      Code:
      sudo mkdir /media/otherdisk
      then

Code:
      sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/sda3 /media/otherdisk

(there is a missing "/" in your mount command ...)

Comment

Here is the output:
        cecilie@Cecilie:~$ sudo ntfsfix sda3
        Failed to determine whether sda3 is mounted: No such file or directory.
        Mounting volume... Error opening partition device: No such file or directory.
        Failed to startup volume: No such file or directory.
        FAILED
        Attempting to correct errors... Error opening partition device: No such file ordirectory.
        FAILED
        Failed to startup volume: No such file or directory.
        Volume is corrupt. You should run chkdsk.

....which takes me back to step one.......

I tried Dibl's suggestion, with no different result than earlier.

Comment

Well, I'm out of ideas. For some reason, chkdsk /f is not returning that disk to a stable situation. Until you figure out how to do that, we can't proceed.

Comment

Before proceeding any further, you might want to try making a copy of the damaged ntfs partition with gparted. Experiment on the copy first.

see the man page for ntfs-3g.probe

try the following command, and see what it produces:

ntfs-3g.probe --readwrite /dev/sda3

If it returns the number 15, you can try an ntfs force mount, but first read this from the man page:
            "Force mount even if errors occurred. Use this option only if you
            know what are you doing and don’t cry about data loss."

That being noted, since it looks like your data may already be toasted:

ntfsmount /dev/sda3 /media/whatever-it-is -o force

(substitute whatever your mountpoint is for /media/whatever-it-is)

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Code:
              cecilie@Cecilie:~$ sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/sda3 media
              Is it just me or something is missing after ...media? I'm not sure, I guess it's something like ...media/something (where something might be a name preselect by the system or chosen by the user and so more user-friendly)
              Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
              Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
              Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
              Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Originally posted by doctordruidphd
                Before proceeding any further, you might want to try making a copy of the damaged ntfs partition with gparted. Experiment on the copy first.

see the man page for ntfs-3g.probe

try the following command, and see what it produces:

ntfs-3g.probe --readwrite /dev/sda3

If it returns the number 15, you can try an ntfs force mount, but first read this from the man page:
                "Force mount even if errors occurred. Use this option only if you
                know what are you doing and don’t cry about data loss."

That being noted, since it looks like your data may already be toasted:

ntfsmount /dev/sda3 /media/whatever-it-is -o force

(substitute whatever your mountpoint is for /media/whatever-it-is)

Well, from what i could see, the data is fine. Perfectly accessible in windows. I am now reinstalling windows, reformating the cartition(which I did not do last time.) Then later I will try another chkdsk, but I suspect the sda3/D: partition is full of hidden directories/files(the visible content doesn't nearly add up to the space used on the partition).
                Something strange is going on here, and I plan to find out what......

Force mounting could well be the solution I end up with, I will just have to wait and see.

Comment

Well......things are getting curiouser and curiouser. I have reinstalled windows, run chkdsk once again, then reinstalled grub to boot into kubuntu.
                  I still cannot get access to the partition in question, but that is no surprise. What is, is that when I rebooted the computer to try in windows again, it returned Error 12:invalid device.

sudo fdisk -l now returns: Disk /dev/sda: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes
                  255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
                  Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
                  Disk identifier: 0x00000001

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
                  /dev/sda1 2 2615 20996955 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
                  /dev/sda2 2616 5171 20531070 83 Linux
                  /dev/sda3 * 5172 30401 202659975 7 HPFS/NTFS
                  /dev/sda5 2 2615 20996923+ 7 HPFS/NTFS

I suspect I know the reason, but now I need to fix it.

Comment

Yeah, there's something hokey with that hard drive, or the partition table on it.

I've always noticed Windows really hates to boot a partition that is farther out from the "root" of the hard drive. It really wants to be (hdx,0). I see you've got it out on (hd0,2) -- that's kind of asking for a problem, at least from my experience.

Comment

Make sure your menu.lst file shows that windows root is root (hd0,2). I think you moved it when you reinstalled windows. The stanza should look like this:

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
                      # on /dev/sda3
                      title Microsoft Windows XP Professional
                      root (hd0,2)
                      savedefault
                      makeactive
                      chainloader +1

Edit the file as root to change it.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                        Yeah, there's something hokey with that hard drive, or the partition table on it.

I've always noticed Windows really hates to boot a partition that is farther out from the "root" of the hard drive. It really wants to be (hdx,0). I see you've got it out on (hd0,2) -- that's kind of asking for a problem, at least from my experience.

>>Well, yeah. I must have screwed up something when formatting the partition. I have installed Gparted, which gives me a more graphic oversight over the HD. Sda3(still not working) is flagged boot, while the brand new sda5!!(containing the windows install) is flagged "lba". Will changing this in gparted do what I need?

Comment

Something weird here. It shows sda1 and sda5 occupying the same space, but it shows sda3 as the bootable ntfs partition.

Comment

Yeah. Gparted showed sda1 as an extended partition.. However, changing the values in menu.list as suggested by you did got me back into windows fine. Now I need to find a way to get a look at whatever hidden files are on sda3, but the grub boot doesn't seem to give me the option of secure mode boot.

Comment

Check your bios, there should be something akin to Sata hard disk set as ... and options are usually raid, ide, and something else. Make sure it is on IDE. Going from memory here but the command should stand out once you look for it.

From what I read it sounds like either the drive is set up in a sata raid, or software raid config. That error you had about enabling the driver re fake raid ..have you looked any further into that ?

I have dealt with scsi linux raid volumes but never a sata one or a windows raid via *nix, but it may be a possibility this was set by default in the bios for sata and is causing issues for you now. I have seen windows work with it and also seen it suddenly go weird and stop working till that setting is set to ide style. Though how *nix would of installed originally is a tad confusing. But any port in a storm eh?

Comment

Working...
                              X