This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help! Vodafone Internet Key driver, dependency problems

Ok, I'm not sure to have understood: I've written in the konsole the command and... nothing happened
    Remember that the only way I have to install the Vodafone driver is to double click over it (by shell I get an error message "Package not found").
    The good news is that I've found an ethernet crossover cable, so I suppose I can create a net between my Windows and my Linux PCs. Now the complicate part:
    how can I create a home net in Linux? (in Windows I have no problem)
    A digital cake is ready for you for all your help!

Comment

Originally posted by Ayvlis
      Ok, I'm not sure to have understood: I've written in the konsole the command and... nothing happened
      Then it doesn't work... pity.

The good news is that I've found an ethernet crossover cable, so I suppose I can create a net between my Windows and my Linux PCs. Now the complicate part:
      how can I create a home net in Linux? (in Windows I have no problem)
      One thing I didn't understand so far: do you have internet on Windows?
      Once your problem is solved please edit the first post of your topic and add [SOLVED] in front of the subject. In that way, others can benefit from your experience!

Comment

Internet on Windows is by Vodafone Internet Key (that obviously has driver for Windows and for the hated mac, but not for beloved Linux), so even if quite badly, under Windows it works.
        Under Windows I can create a "home net", assign and IP address, etc, etc, etc. Then I need to do the same with Linux. Any idea about that?
        In the previous version of KDE I know where to search, but I have to confess that the 4.1 is still quite obscure for me (since internet doesn't work, I haven't use it a lot, except for loading those awful drivers!)

Comment

I barely dare to say it again:
          please try Internet Connection Sharing first. If you can get Kubuntu to connect to the Internet through your XP box, you can simply install the Vodafone key driver for linux and it will get all dependencies for you. This will take you less than five minutes to test.

1) Connect both computers with the crosscable

2) On XP: choose WIN + R and type "control netconnections"; this will open the configuration window for network connections. Now select the connection icon for the Vodafone dialup connection, rightclick and choose "properties". Go to the tab Advanced and choose the hyperlink "Network Setup Wizard" (at the bottom of the dialog box). Follow the wizard. It will automatically create a bridge between your Vodafone connection and your LAN connection.

3) At this point your windows computer should have IP address 192.168.0.1 on the LAN connection, check this by opening a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all"

4) When using all windows XP, your newly configured XP box would issue an IP address to your other XP boxes, BUT I am not sure if this also works with linux. So let's check it! On the linux box, open a command prompt and type "ifconfig"; In the output you should see an IP address of 192.168.0.x
          If so, you can now use Internet and finally install the Vodafone key drivers on linux, while it will get you all dependencies from the Internet!

If you do not have an IP address in the 192.168.0.x range on your linux box, you will have to configure a static IP address for linux. But since I have read that many people have problems with it, I'd wait for KDE4.2 (five more days) in which I hope several issues on KNetworkmanager will be solved.

As to how to share folders in KDE4, I must first look for myself. I don't have any KDE4 running for the moment.
          Once your problem is solved please edit the first post of your topic and add [SOLVED] in front of the subject. In that way, others can benefit from your experience!

Comment

1) thank you very much!
            2) thank you very much again, for patience :P
            3) thank you very much for patience (since you have a lot of it!)
            4) this evening I will try those steps, I will let you know the result
            5) ehm... to thank you I could post a big huge pic of a cake, but I don't think you could eat it

Comment

UPDATE:
              No, it hasn't worked... simply the two computers cannot see each other. However, I also have a 7.10 Kubuntu on the other pc with a Vodafone key which works so... how can I set a net connection between the two KUbuntu? I have tried but still the PCs cannot see themselves :-X

Comment

I still think Internet Connection Sharing is the easiest way to install your driver on the 'isolated' linux box, so let's choose either the XP or the 7.10 box to set up ICS (you may choose).

To setup ICS with linux, look at the second article here:
                http://www.elijahlofgren.com/networking/

You may also find that if you set the gateway on your 8.10 (?) box, it will work with XP.

If you have any trouble, or don't understand what your doing, please post the output of "ipconfig /all" (in Windows) or "ifconfig -a" (in linux) of both the ICS computer (with Vodafone key) and of the 8.10 (?) linux box.

--edit---
                By the way, it looks like I already had some 'digital cake' from you, looking at your avatar

Comment

Ehm ok, I think we have a problem. I have two computers, A and B. A is a desktop, has Windows XP and KUbuntu 8.10. B is a laptop, with Windows XP and KUbuntu 8.04. In B, both OS has Vodafone Key enabled, so I can choose Windows or KU 8.04 from B to connect to KU 8.10 on A computer.
                  After having tried to connect A KU 8.10 with Windows in B, the connection failed because Windows in B cannot recognize the A OS. So the only thing I could to is trying to connect the KU 8.04 of B with KU 8.10 of A.
                  Moreover, when I prompt ipconfig/all in Windows, it shows a black shell with some words, but this windows remains open only for less than a second, so I cannot see what there's written in it.

PS: my avatar is soooooooo sweeeeeeet! (in all senses :P ) I love all the avatars from that site, I would like to try them all!

Comment

Ok, thanks for the explanation on your network setup (always a good thing to line out in a post!)

After having tried to connect A KU 8.10 with Windows in B, the connection failed because Windows in B cannot recognize the A OS. So the only thing I could to is trying to connect the KU 8.04 of B with KU 8.10 of A.
                    Well... not everything "just works". Sometimes we have to find out WHY it didn't work to MAKE it work. They will surely be able to see each other.

Moreover, when I prompt ipconfig/all in Windows, it shows a black shell with some words, but this windows remains open only for less than a second, so I cannot see what there's written in it.
                    You should type this into a command prompt, not from the run box. You can type "cmd" in the run box to invoke a command prompt. Then type "ipconfig /all" (mind the space between "ipconfig" and "/all").

Setup:
                    Internet --> Computer B with Vodafone key --> Computer A

A is connected to B with a cross cable.

You already setup XP on B with ICS, so let's test if it works with XP on A.

IF it doesn't work: post both outputs of "ipconfig /all" here.

IF it works: now test ICS with XP on B and Kubuntu 8.10 on A. Post the output of "ipconfig /all" on B and of "ifconfig -a" on A.

Comment

Hello darling, sorry for my disappearance, but I was away for job... and tomorrow I am leaving again. So no possibility to "play" with my 2 computers connected. As soon as possible I am going to try your suggestion!

Comment

Working...
                      X