X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nvidia problem

Hi,
    I've been using Kubuntu for the last 2 years, and recently I've updated to 8.10 (i formated my laptop and had a clean install). On the first boot I did all the updates and then installed the drivers for my nvidia geforce 7600 using envyng. The process ended without any errors.

This problem happens is that my computer freezes most of the times when X loads. Specifically, the screen illuminates, but is left black and the numlock and scroll lock indicators flash. However if it does not freeze everything works fine.

Any ideas why my laptop chooses if it wants to start X??

Thank you.

Re: nvidia problem

You will find your answers (or at least more for the forum users to go on) in "/var/log/Xorg.0.log".

Use you favorite text editor (ViM, nano, gedit, etc...) and open that file. You will want to do that right after itt locks up and look towards the bottom. Look for errors.

Copy all you can find and search google (or post what you find here again).

Comment

On my amd 64 system I needed to use the Beta drivers from Nvidia, I think it is here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d...64_180.06.html

The Nvidia splash screen says beta on it.

There is a newer driver but that caused problems as well. I downloaded the file, used envyng to remove the old drivers and rah the script from Nvidia to install the beta drivers . Although I had good results with envyng -t previoulsy, it no longer installs a good version on my system.

Comment

I believe when the numlock flashes like that, it means you had a kernel panic...unfortunately, I don't know what it would take to fix it.

mm0
        Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Working...
        X