This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No sound after adding sound card.

My system is based on an ASUS P5E3 WS Pro motherboard, which has an Analog Devices AD1988B onboard sound device (detected by Kmix as "HDA Intel"). It's worked fine under Kubuntu 8.10 for a while. Then yesterday, I installed a SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS card in my system. It works fine under windows, but now I have no sound out of it under Kubuntu.

The onboard sound hardware is putting out a signal, but I'd rather use the SoundBlaster. That's where I have my speakers & headphones plugged in, and I don't want to have to move the plugs every time I reboot into Kubuntu.

What are some things I could check to figure out why I'm not getting any sound from the SB?

I suspect the SB is merely muted somehow. This never made sense to me as a default setting, but when I first installed Kubuntu, I had to manually unmute my onboard sound by running alsamixer from the command line. How can I do it with the SoundBlaster? If I run alsamixer, it just shows settings for the onboard sound.

Re: No sound after adding sound card.

Reboot and enter the BIOS. Disable the onboard sound chip. Save and continue to boot.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
    X