This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After login,I get the KDE desktop sound sequence then no more sound

With this new install of kubuntu after I login to my session and the KDE desktop appears I get the opening sound sequence.After that I am unable to get any sound from any other program (Amarok, VLC etc) or from a website (flash plugin).
    When I logoff/leave sound sequence plays again.

That seems to indicate to me the issue is something related to KDE and not a physical or driver issue.

Under system settings it is showing "PnP Audio Device (USB Audio)"

Here are my system specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+
    MoBo: ASUS M2N-E SLI
    Memory: 2GB Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400R
    Graphics: ASUS EN7600GS Silent (NVIDA GeForce 7600GS) rev a1
    HDD: Western Digital 80GB IDE WD800JB
    DVD: Pioneer DVR-112D

The specifications indicate the onboard USB audio is:
    C-Media Superior Quality Audio 7.1 channel audio
    It is enabled in the BIOS

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Neil

Re: After login,I get the KDE desktop sound sequence then no more sound

K Menu > systemsettings > Sound > Device Preferences

Expand the Audio Output and Audio Capture entries. Click on each item in turn. In the right-pane, click on your audio device and click the Prefer button on the bottom right to push it to the top of the list. Do this for each item. Click on Apply.

You will probably have to restart KDE or reboot to check the effects.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

K Menu > systemsettings > Sound > Device Preferences

Expand the Audio Output and Audio Capture entries. Click on each item in turn. In the right-pane, click on your audio device and click the Prefer button on the bottom right to push it to the top of the list. Do this for each item. Click on Apply.

You will probably have to restart KDE or reboot to check the effects.
      I cycled through the Device preferences for each Item and rebooted each time.
      Each time I restarted KDE I was able to hear the initial sound sequence (which cuts off in the middle).
      Each time I logged out and KDE stopped I heard the sound sequence before KDE stopped (complete sequence).

Each time, except for when KDE starts and stops, there is no sound.

Comment

I am experiencing the same problem, it seemed to be caused by an update today Kubuntu 8.10. The login sound cuts off halfway through and then no sound until I log out.

Edit: I just created a new user on my system and the sound is working perfectly when logged in as this user. I've tried resetting the mixer on my main account to no avail. Can anyone suggest how I might go about finding out what programs are starting up at the exact point when the sound dies? I can't see anything in logs but I might just be looking in the wrong place. Are there particular config files in my ~ which I could try deleting?

Comment

Ok fixed it. Not sure if this will solve your problem but worth a try!

For me the problem was with KMix, which crashed after the aforementioned update. Giving it fresh config files worked. I expect you can just delete them, but I copied them over from a different user account where sound was working. Basically replace your ~/.kde/share/config/kmixrc and kmixctlrc with the same files from another user on your system where sound works.

Comment

Well, Kmix was the problem.
            However, in the end my resolution was to move from kubuntu/KDE to ubuntu/Gnome.
            All my other system were using ubuntu so I decided to make the change.
            Maybe I'll come back to kubuntu later.

Comment

Working...
            X