This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screen freaks out when clicking Display Settings

I bought a new 19" Hanns G HW191 screen for a computer with an ATI Radeon 9200SE.

After booting, the screen shows Kubuntu in native resolution (1440x900), looks wonderful! However, when I click
    System Settings > Display
    an "Auto Adjustment" action is carried out, after which I am left with a wide variety of beautiful colours in bent stripes, much like a rainbow.

Of course, I would like to be able to adjust display settings and still be able to see Kubuntu.

Does anyone know where the problem lies and what I can do to fix it?
    I would really appreciate quick answers, as I can still return the screen and buy another if it's known for bad compatibility.
    Once your problem is solved please edit the first post of your topic and add [SOLVED] in front of the subject. In that way, others can benefit from your experience!

Re: Screen freaks out when clicking Display Settings

I have a similar issue. Hardware specs: VIA PC2500E Mobo, 1.5ghz C7-D processor, 1.5 gb ddr2 533, Radeon 9250 pci card.

After reading about all the problems people seem to have getting hardware support for their ati cards, I believe it's the card.
    When I go into the display settings window, it automatically resized and froze before ever returning to functionality. I tried installing the fglrx drivers with ATI Catalyst, and on restart, I only got a text prompt. This is my first attempt at linux so i have no idea what to do with a text prompt, so i'm bailing on Kubuntu and will try Ubuntu, it's downloading through Wubi now.

You might try getting ATI catalyst or fglrx. I hope you have better luck than I did. Luckily my XP install was still intact.

Good luck, Johan. It sounds like us ATI cardholders get the short end of ubuntu's graphics card support stick.

Comment

I tried some suggestions from this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ary+restricted

I enabled the pre-released updates in adept sources and installed the 8.552 fglrx driver with envyng.
      After rebooting, the system dropped to shell, so I picked up the suggestion in the thread and performed:

aticonfig --initial -f

This gave an error, stating that Disable is not a valid statement in the xorg config file.
      Once your problem is solved please edit the first post of your topic and add [SOLVED] in front of the subject. In that way, others can benefit from your experience!

Comment

HOWTO: Install and use the Envy script installer for video drivers
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thank you both for replying.

Snowhow, when following the instructions, envyng will ask for a reboot. After that, the system displays the error:
          "Not starting K Display Manager (kdm-kde4); it is not the default display manager".

I played with this before, but I couldn't find a solution to this. If I remember well this is a side-effect of upgrading Kubuntu from kde3 to kde4.

Comment

Possibly. Intrepid doesn't use the .kde4 hidden folder and its associated sub-folders/settings - mostly. Pre-Intrepid, i.e., Hardy running KDE 4.0.x, had the .kde4 folder alongside of the .kde3 (to ensure distinction of the two versions). When Intrepid came out, while it is using KDE 4.1, the hidden folder it creates/uses, is .kde. If the hidden .kde4 folder still exists in your /home directory, it reflects the configuration folders/files that were used by KDE 4.0 (initially, remix).
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

hmm, I think I've upset Xorg now by playing with radeon, fglrx and vesa drivers...

When I login, it stops loading after the third icon. I can get the same effect by performing "startx" as a normal user (no sudo). When I use "sudo startx", kubuntu starts as usual.

Comment

Working...
              X