This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to mount 2nd internal hard drive?

Is there a standard place to mount a second internal hard drive?

Eric

Re: Where to mount 2nd internal hard drive?

Originally posted by ejazzkatt
    Is there a standard place to mount a second internal hard drive?

Eric
    Not to be a smart-ass, but "in the drive bay" is the typical location, assuming it is a mid-size or larger desktop case. Normally the optical drive is near the top in the front of the case, and below that will be one or more empty "cages" or metal frames of the correct size (3.5 inches wide) with holes on the sides that will align with the holes in the sides of a 3.5 inch hard drive. So you remove the sides of the case, install the drive with the connectors pointing toward the interior of the case, and attach the power and data cables.

Comment

It's already installed. I need to mount it so that the operating system can see it.

Eric

Comment

How is this second HD formated - Windoze or Linux or ....
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

> Filesystem Hierarchy Standard
          This standard consists of a set of requirements and guidelines for file and directory placement under UNIX-like operating systems. The guidelines are intended to support interoperability of applications, system administration tools, development tools, and scripts as well as greater uniformity of documentation for these systems.
          /media : Mount point for removeable media
          Purpose

This directory contains subdirectories which are used as mount points for removeable media such as floppy disks, cdroms and zip disks.
          /mnt : Mount point for a temporarily mounted filesystem
          Purpose

This directory is provided so that the system administrator may temporarily mount a filesystem as needed. The content of this directory is a local issue and should not affect the manner in which any program is run.

Ubuntu (and Debian ?) use /media. You could make subdirectories under the /media and mount partitions there.

> Top Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
          -> #5. Hard Drive Partitioning Questions, Partition Sizes, Filesystems, What About Swap?

Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
          1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
          2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

I have Kubuntu installed on one hard drive. Originally I had Kubuntu 8.04 on hard drive 2 but then I installed Kubuntu 8.10 on hard drive 1. That left my second hard drive empty. I did mount it under media but as you mentioned, I realized that media is where you mount removable media. It did mount there and it is working but having realized that's not where it's supposed to be mounted, I want to mount it correctly. I'm concerned about problems down the road.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by ejazzkatt

It did mount there and it is working but having realized that's not where it's supposed to be mounted, I want to mount it correctly. I'm concerned about problems down the road.
              There is no adverse consequence to using /media for mounting internal or external hard drives -- there is nothing bad going to happen. Look at how my mess runs, and it's been this way for two years with no problems:

# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
              proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
              # /dev/sda1
              UUID=4ee99d57-a4e3-4381-a900-7a57cfa9eea2 / jfs noatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
              # /dev/sda2
              UUID=8d312c3c-a451-473f-a2fb-7a1a0f8bbb9c /media/docs ext3 auto,users,rw,exec,noatime 0 2
              # /dev/sdb1
              UUID=1a1ffa9b-a8f6-43e9-bb1f-fbc32934018b /media/disk_2 ext3 auto,users,rw,exec,noatime 0 2
              # /dev/sdc1
              UUID=92c0453f-2a35-40d5-8013-b8870ed66127 /media/databackups xfs auto,users,rw,exec,noatime,nodiratime,logbufs=8 0 2
              # /dev/sdc2
              UUID=f4e36b39-af7d-475c-8990-b2093f558295 /media/musicbackup xfs auto,users,rw,exec,noatime,nodiratime,logbufs=8 0 2
              # /dev/sdc3
              UUID=eba33247-0dbb-482c-9351-81505a953864 /media/videos xfs auto,users,rw,exec,noatime,nodiratime,logbufs=8 0 2
              # /dev/sdd1
              UUID=26138929-7ea6-4893-8c3a-03c13e24a4d1 /media/sidux jfs auto,users,rw,exec,noatime 0 2
              # /dev/sdd3
              UUID=e4a45430-1c4a-4432-91db-265cfe7dd645 /media/images ext3 auto,users,rw,exec,noatime 0 2
              # /dev/sde1
              UUID=e731c3cf-e2ff-4692-8353-ede2a3dcb85e /media/music xfs auto,users,rw,exec,noatime,nodiratime,logbufs=8 0 2
              # /dev/sdd2
              UUID=21c86c34-f1b9-4404-851e-36ce8fce4f5c none swap sw 0 0
              /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
              /dev/fd0 /media/fd0 auto noauto,rw,users 0 0

Comment

Like dibl says, you can mount it anywhere, matter of personal preference, I like to use /media for removable media, and I mount the permanent stuff in /mnt. Just make a directory there for it and use that in the fstab entry. For example if you wanted to mount your second hard drive in /mnt as sdb1 the entry in fstab would look like this:

/dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1 auto users,atime,auto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0

To create the directory just:

sudo mkdir /mnt/sdb1

Of course you can name it anything you want to. Or change the partition on your second hard drive to whatever you want, if the data you want to access is in a different partition on sdb.

See man mount and man fstab for details on the options.

Comment

Thanks everyone, for your answers.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                  X