This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATI Radeon X1300 driver install

I have this flickering problem that seems like most people have on their computers. I've downloaded the linux driver for my graphics card but I don't know how to install it. It downloaded as ati-driver-installer-8-12-x86.x86_64.run

any Ideas?

Re: ATI Radeon X1300 driver install

Originally posted by phndrummer
    I have this flickering problem that seems like most people have on their computers. I've downloaded the linux driver for my graphics card but I don't know how to install it. It downloaded as ati-driver-installer-8-12-x86.x86_64.run

any Ideas?
    You are trying to install the ati binary driver.

I got this from the Ubuntu forums:

use System/Hardware again and just click enable for the restricted driver. Let it download and install itself, reboot and everything should work. If not, from a terminal

sudo aticonfig --initial -f

then reboot. Then you can use the Catalyst Control Center to adjust your settings.

The driver in Hardware (the repository) has been tweaked for Intrepid. The other drivers do not work and will screw it up. This is your problem.
    By 'System/Hardware', I think he means go to the menu and in Kubuntu, it would be KDE Menu panel -> System -> Hardware Drivers.

Source of Ubuntu post:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ary+restricted

Post #5

If it doesn't work for you, just wait a bit. Someone will surely post a solution and provide you instructions. I keep wondering if ATI or Nvidia is the one to get as I would like to upgrade my card someday. There are a lot of varitations on installing and I thought Kubuntu did a decent job with their video drive installation procedure. I think smxi works well, too. I wonder if Kubuntu will ever adopt it but right now, their current program works not too bad.

I just noticed it is not up to date regarding Beta drivers. I guess that is when you need to follow instructions of stopping the KDE X Window (init 5 or runlevel #... I forget which #/one it is) and then a set of instructions.

Comment

Re: ATI Radeon X1300 driver install

Thanks that worked. If you're looking for a new GPU I'd go with a Nvidia, I think I've seen more support and more programs that will run better on those cards.

Comment

Working...
      X