X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost control of cdrom

Hi,

I just recently put Kubuntu 8.10 on my new ASUS X83V. I have control over my cdrom drive before I put in a CD. After I put in a CD and try to run Amarok, I have no control over the cdrom. Before inserting the CD, I can open and close the drive by pressing the hardware button on the drive or with the command $ eject cdrom. Then I tried to play a CD. Amarok hangs when trying to play the disk. After killing the program, no command or hardware button will give me the CD back.

I noticed that /dev/cdrom is a symbolic link to /dev/scd0 prior to trying a CD. After the CD is in, this link is no longer there. eject /dev/scd0 doesn't work. Pressing the button doesn't work.

I can still see the cdrom in lshw as:

*-cdrom
    description: DVD-RAM writer
    physical id: 1
    bus info: scsi@1:0.0.0
    logical name: /dev/scd0
    logical name: /dev/sr0
    capabilities: audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r dvd-ram
    configuration: status=open

How do I get my CD out? How can I get this drive to work?
    Thanks,
    Hannes

Re: Lost control of cdrom

I noticed a little weirdness with KDE3 the other day after burning a CD -- it didn't seem to want to let go of the CD. Eventually the Device>Eject item worked to eject it. There may some issue with the "wodim" driver, or whatever 8.10 is using these days. Mine burns CDs and runs data CDs correctly -- I don't play music CDs much (I rip 'em with KDE3 and save the files).

Have you tried opening Dolphin, and then on the device icon on the left you should be able to right-click and choose "eject" or "safely remove".

Comment

The cdrom icon is not present in Dolphin.

Comment

If you can open a console window and do
        Code:
        cat /etc/fstab
        and post the output, maybe it will show something.

Also, does
        Code:
        sudo lshw
        show the optical drive?

Comment

see the original post for the output of lshw. Here is /etc/fstab:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
          #
          # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
          proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
          # /dev/sda6
          UUID=c533a3fd-00c2-4639-8727-ab431e335db8 / ext3 relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
          # /dev/sda7
          UUID=ed066103-6111-43f0-a242-5a8cb27c067c /home ext3 relatime 0 2
          # /dev/sda5
          UUID=148edcb9-413b-4e7e-bd3a-90f0d7b1874c none swap sw 0 0
          /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,auto,exec,utf8 0 0

Comment

Originally posted by hannes
            see the original post for the output of lshw.
            Oops.

OK, I just checked mine -- lshw shows:

Code:
            *-cdrom                                                                         
                    description: DVD-RAM writer                                                            
                    product: DRW-1608P3S                                                                
                    vendor: ASUS                                                                    
                    physical id: 0.1.0                                                                 
                    bus info: scsi@4:0.1.0                                                               
                    logical name: /dev/cdrom                                                              
                    logical name: /dev/cdrw                                                              
                    logical name: /dev/dvd                                                               
                    logical name: /dev/dvdrw                                                              
                    logical name: /dev/scd0                                                              
                    logical name: /dev/sr0                                                               
                    logical name: /media/cdrom0                                                            
                    version: 1.24                                                                   
                    capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r dvd-ram                                             
                    configuration: ansiversion=5 mount.fstype=iso9660 mount.options=ro,nosuid,nodev,utf8 state=mounted status=ready                  
                   *-medium                                                                       
                      physical id: 0                                                                 
                      logical name: /dev/cdrom                                                            
                      logical name: /media/cdrom0                                                           
                      configuration: mount.fstype=iso9660 mount.options=ro,nosuid,nodev,utf8 state=mounted
            /etc/fstab shows it as:

Code:
            /dev/scd0    /media/cdrom0  udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0    0
            So, in comparing one that works (mine) versus one that doesn't (yours), it appears there is nothing different about the mounting arrangement, and we're left looking at the lshw output. I wonder why yours shows "status=open"? That is most likely the source of the error.

Unless it has a pinhole for you to stick a paperclip into, I would think maybe a system shutdown (all the way down and off, not warm restart) might change that flag to "closed".

Comment

Working...
            X