Clear All

webcam not seen by any program

I have a Pixart Q-Tec 100 webcam and when I do a
    lsusb I get

Bus 001 Device 008: ID 093a:2460 Pixart Imaging, Inc. Q-TEC WEBCAM 100

Yet no program will see it, says no webcam installed

What am I doing wrong? Thanks

Re: webcam not seen by any program

I'm am not a Linux guru by any means. However, there are few things you could do to get started.
    Are you sure the spca5xx driver is loaded? I see at http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca5xx.html that your webcam is supported.
    Have you plugged the webcam directly into your computer USB port?
    After you have done that, can you open Skype, click on Options -> Video Devices. Can you see it now?
    Can you determine the Vendor and Product Id of the Webcam?

Comment

Re: webcam stillnot seen by any program cannot make gspca

This is what I get when I do a gspca_build, been trying for 2 weeks now to get the webcam working using the gspca-source from the dist

make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build SUBDIRS=/usr/src/modules/gspca CC=cc modules
      make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-11-generic'
      CC [M] /usr/src/modules/gspca/gspca_core.o
      /usr/src/modules/gspca/gspca_core.c:54:27: error: asm/semaphore.h: No such file or directory
      /usr/src/modules/gspca/gspca_core.c: In function ‘spca5xx_ioctl’:
      /usr/src/modules/gspca/gspca_core.c:2463: error: implicit declaration of function ‘video_usercopy’
      /usr/src/modules/gspca/gspca_core.c: At top level:
      /usr/src/modules/gspca/gspca_core.c:2604: error: ‘v4l_compat_ioctl32’ undeclared here (not in a function)
      /usr/src/modules/gspca/gspca_core.c:2609: error: unknown field ‘owner’ specified in initializer
      /usr/src/modules/gspca/gspca_core.c:2609: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
      /usr/src/modules/gspca/gspca_core.c:2611: error: unknown field ‘type’ specified in initializer
      /usr/src/modules/gspca/gspca_core.c: In function ‘spca50x_create_sysfs’:
      /usr/src/modules/gspca/gspca_core.c:2769: error: implicit declaration of function ‘video_device_create_file’
      /usr/src/modules/gspca/gspca_core.c:2780: error: implicit declaration of function ‘video_device_remove_file’
      /usr/src/modules/gspca/gspca_core.c: In function ‘spca5xx_probe’:
      /usr/src/modules/gspca/gspca_core.c:4301: error: incompatible types in assignment
      make[2]: *** [/usr/src/modules/gspca/gspca_core.o] Error 1
      make[1]: *** [_module_/usr/src/modules/gspca] Error 2
      make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-11-generic'
      make: *** [default] Error 2

Comment

I followed this link and it works for me.
        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3099982.0
        after getting the file this is how I did it.
        Open the konsole.
        cd /tmp
        sudo mkdir gspca
        cd gspca
        sudo cp /home/brian/Desktop/gspca-00eae7545365.tar.bz2 .
        Note 1: you can use the Tab key to complete the name of a file after entering the first few letters (paying attention to case)
        Note 2: there is a period after a single space in the command -- that tells the "copy" command (cp) to copy the file to the current directory.
        sudo tar -xvf gspca-00eae7545365.tar.bz2
        Now, I'm a little fuzzy here -- I think you may need to change to an "install" subdirectory -- I'm not sure. You can use
        Code:
        ls
        to show the contents of your /tmp/gspca directory (the one that you're at) and see what the files and subdirectories are. You may need to "cd" to the one named "install" -- there should also be a README file that tells you what to do. So, blithely assuming you are at the correct directory ....
        sudo make
        sudo make install
        Now the package should be compiled and installed.
        Now you install the libv4l-0 package with
        sudo apt-get install libv4l-0
        And let's install camorama while we're at it, for testing purposes:
        sudo apt-get install camorama
        So, you are now finished compiling and installing. You want to see if you camera works? Assuming your webcam is connected:
        LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so camorama
        If camorama pops up and you see yourself, you win! Wink
        The little script that I made can be copied into kate and then you can save it in your home directory as "webcam" or something like that. Before you run it the first time, you have to make it executable with
        chmod +x webcam
        ++Noel Vh++<br />Desktop support Lv II, III<br />Large Pharma company<br />New Jersey USA

Comment

Hey Noelvh, I tried that and only cheese works, nothing else, skype, camorama etc, will keep trying

Comment

Did you try to run skype like this.
            LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

I have edited my kmenu and added this command there and I run skype with my cam that way.

++Noel Vh++<br />Desktop support Lv II, III<br />Large Pharma company<br />New Jersey USA

Comment

Nope did not work, get a black window then it crashes, thanks anyway for the help

Comment

Working...
              X