• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gigabyte motherboards

I am considering rebuilding my computer with a new motherboard/processor
    (AMD Athlon X2).

I am looking at a Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 mobo which seems to have a
    good spec except at the end of the spec was the following comment printed in red:

"Due to different Linux support condition provided by chipset vendors,
    please download Linux driver from chipset vendors' website or 3rd party
    website."

This surprised me as all other computers I have installed linux on have accepted the OS without any problems at all.

Is installing these drivers a major problem or a difficult procedure?

Or can anyone recommend a good mobo/graphics card combination for the
    AMD processor that works well out of the box with linux specifically kubuntu 8.1.

Any comments gratefully received.

Re: Gigabyte motherboards

My gut feel is you've got nothing to worry about, I'm running on a fairly recent new build with a Gigabyte board (GA-EP45-DS4) and just went with the Kubuntu installation, it wasn't necessary to install additional drivers to get it working.

I would have suggested you create a Live CD and see if everything works booting from that however that's going to be difficult if you haven't built the PC yet.

Sometime it requires a leap of faith...
    Kubuntu 20.04(AMD64)/KDE 5

Comment

Thanks for your comments Quarkslot, it makes me feel better as the Gigabyte spec sheet on your mobo also has the linux warning and if you have no problems.....

Perhaps Gigabyte are just being very conservative ?

Comment

I think what that warning means is, for example, if the MB has a built in nvidia video card, Gigabyte won't provide drivers for it, like they might for windows. You would need to get them from nVidia or your Distro. With that being said, I have used 3 diff GB motherboards with no issues whatsoever.

mm0
        Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Mine too has the Linux warning (GA-MA78GM-DS2H). Since there's no onboard video, I assume it refers to audio drivers. In any case, Kubuntu 8.04 installed and runs without a problem. I suspect the warning is just boilerplate to minimize support hassles with customers who need exotic drivers.

Comment

Working...
          X